Lorry Park Diorama

Bortig the Viking

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Hi all, not sure if this is right for this forum, but here's my code 3 diorama, the lorries are Corgi but I've made them code 3 in that they are weathered, the loads are made from various materials and have been detailed with oils and washes etc. The diorama board 4ft x 1ft, consists of many materials and includes the building and figures etc and was constructed and painted by me.
I like it and I hope some of you will also.
20191022_134422.jpg20191022_134434.jpg20191022_134443.jpg20191022_134457.jpg

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Nice one. Lots of action. Quite a variety. I have much window envy. PaulE

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Mark,
You have every right to like it that is a great scene. A time when the lorries had character and beautiful livery.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Nice to see something that isn't OD green or Panzer gray:smiling3:. That's a nice scene and lots of variety in vehicles. Glad you posted it Mark. Cheers, Rick H.

D

Deleted member 7181

I like that a lot. Plenty of variety, and as Paul says, lots of action.

Bortig the Viking

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Thanks guys, I like UK lorries from the fifties and sixties hence the diorama which I dated the August 17 1968, snapshot in time i Iike to caĺl it.

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Mark,
As an ex driver of many years, who started with rope and sheet and can remember the days when things went astray, chasing my sheet down the yard in a gale, while the 'old boys' sat in their cabs and watched you over the top of their paper while a mug of tea sat next to them. I really enjoyed looking at your diorama, and that would be how trucks would be parked up next to each other. Especilly like the crowd of 'old women' next to the Pollock tanker, you have that to a 'T'. Drivers the world over will always stand around and put the world to rights, philosophers and politicians all...
If I could 'nit pick' it would be the Pollock flat bed. On your next flat bed make sure the sheets overlap from front to back. The reason for this was that when going down the road the wind gets under the sheets and blows them up like balloons. So by putting the back sheet on first and then the front one overlapping the back one, the wind flows over the top, and the boss will be pleased with your fuel consumption. And the Beasley with the barrels, I could not see the barrels clearly but the back two would have the rope looped around them. This would act as a wedge and stop the others from moving back and forward. I hope this helps you out with your next project which I would love to see, and I can just smell the cabbage cookings before spending a night, on a board across the seats and using the night out money for a couple of pints.
Well thought out and a pleasure to look at, a big well done to you. What next....
Cheers,
Mike.

Bortig the Viking

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Mark,
As an ex driver of many years, who started with rope and sheet and can remember the days when things went astray, chasing my sheet down the yard in a gale, while the 'old boys' sat in their cabs and watched you over the top of their paper while a mug of tea sat next to them. I really enjoyed looking at your diorama, and that would be how trucks would be parked up next to each other. Especilly like the crowd of 'old women' next to the Pollock tanker, you have that to a 'T'. Drivers the world over will always stand around and put the world to rights, philosophers and politicians all...
If I could 'nit pick' it would be the Pollock flat bed. On your next flat bed make sure the sheets overlap from front to back. The reason for this was that when going down the road the wind gets under the sheets and blows them up like balloons. So by putting the back sheet on first and then the front one overlapping the back one, the wind flows over the top, and the boss will be pleased with your fuel consumption. And the Beasley with the barrels, I could not see the barrels clearly but the back two would have the rope looped around them. This would act as a wedge and stop the others from moving back and forward. I hope this helps you out with your next project which I would love to see, and I can just smell the cabbage cookings before spending a night, on a board across the seats and using the night out money for a couple of pints.
Well thought out and a pleasure to look at, a big well done to you. What next....
Cheers,
Mike.
Hi Mike, glad you liked it, your right about the tarps on the Pollock, I think I know why it came out like that I tend to do the load on the lorry looking from the back so I think I got it back to front might need to remedy that. The barrels do have the roping around the back, this was copied from a photograph, am thinking of doing some more weathering on them now that I've a bit more experience using washes and pigments, have always felt the windows need more attention. Will post when this is done. I'm currently doing a Mercedes 300sl by Tamiya and am thinking of using a couple of other cars of the era, not sure what yet a Porsche comes to mind and do a diorama with these not sure what scene yet, a garage maybe or a retro car meet.

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Hi Mike, glad you liked it, your right about the tarps on the Pollock, I think I know why it came out like that I tend to do the load on the lorry looking from the back so I think I got it back to front might need to remedy that. The barrels do have the roping around the back, this was copied from a photograph, am thinking of doing some more weathering on them now that I've a bit more experience using washes and pigments, have always felt the windows need more attention. Will post when this is done. I'm currently doing a Mercedes 300sl by Tamiya and am thinking of using a couple of other cars of the era, not sure what yet a Porsche comes to mind and do a diorama with these not sure what scene yet, a garage maybe or a retro car meet.
No problem as I said I was not sure about the barrels/drums.
And as for the sheet, you are correct, made the same mistake myself a few times with the sheets...
Mike.