Lost Home Movies of NaziGermany

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Hi Guys

just in case anybody missed these two programmes over Christmas: the BBC transmitted tow programmes featuring home cine film from the 1930's to 1945 taken by ordinary Germans.

Some of the back stroies behind the individual films were interesting - one was about a doctor who joined up specifically to win the Iron Cross so that his Jewish wife could be re-certified as German rather than Jewish. he gianed the Iron Cross, but was later killed inaction.

What makes the films really unusual is that ghey show ordinary, everyday activities rather than the newrells propaganda. Lots of ideas for vignetttes and diorama.

Both programmes are still on BBC iplayer, well worth watching.

peter

D

Deleted member 6559

Saw these Peter, and they were amazing. There were some films of activities against the Jews that were particularly harrowing, even more so because they were filmed on private cameras.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Me too, very interesting but my god what horrors!
Liked the colour StuG's and have seen these before

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Peter - Iagree some of the scenes were harrowing. The scene I found most poignent was the one of some 15 year old lads playing a game of squirting water at each other, what was poignent was that they were doing so around a Flak gun they were manning.

Bob - though you would like the Stugs.
peter

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
I did indeed Peter!

I was interested in the qoutes from the man who worshiped Hitler, would have been interesting to hear them as the war went pearshaped to see if he still followed him but he suddenly died