LRDG Jeep ? sort of thing.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Having an unhealthy interrest in the African theater of WWII I have been slowly building a small collection of things from that time and place. This was laying dormant for a while when Graham started his thread on his up comming conversion.

So I saw this little jeep from Italeri, sold as a commando car! So I grabbed it of the shelf and got on with it.

A good build with sufficent detail and loads of stores and weapons. The original kit had twp huge petrol tanks that filled up most of the rear. I left those out and filled the space with Gerrycans and blankets/bundles.

The hardest part was finding the right colour, but I think its OK.

The only thing I need are a couple of figures for it, but I have that covered. More on that at a later date. One day this will end up on a little vingette type base-

Here it is as is:

Ian M

View attachment 27718

View attachment 27719

View attachment 27720

View attachment 27721

30102010792.jpg

30102010796.jpg

30102010795.jpg

30102010794.jpg

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Nice work Ian, with look great on a vingette mate.

Have fun, John

F

Fenlander

Oh Ian what are you doing.... Here am I still pondering over my North African scene, setting up project management packages, starting mind maps for brain storming and what do you do? You go and build a model....... Mmmm, is this where I am going wrong?????

Looks good mate, I think you were right to fill the back with cans, looks much more dashing than sensible fuel tanks. This is how we imagine them to be so good call.

Desert colours, especially as they fade so much and especially as the LRDG had various camouflage schemes and that they basically customised their own individual vehicles as did the SAS who used the Jeeps, there is simply no right or wrong. I have seen a picture of the Chevrolet 30CWT in pink and sand. I thought the pink was only used on the more modern Pink Panther landrovers.

What yellow did you settle on? it looks right to me and the weathering of sand blasted paintwork looks very nice.

B

Bunkerbarge

Excellent weathering, the left side front wheel that has been scuffed down to the bare metal looks brilliant.

I actually like the vehicles more than tanks as there is so much more detail possibilities in them and this shows just how good they can look.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thanks chaps. This is where Graham gets the hump. Just started a Bedford QL. (sorry).

Erm the paint colour. yikes thats a good question. Are you ready Graham, it a mix!!! basicly 50/50 vallejo modle color buff and desert yellow with a tiny drop of Sandel brown to pink it up just a tiny little bit. Dont show to well in the zeon blitz from the camera but its actually a nice warm sand colour, with out being to "afrika" yellow if you know what I mean.

The 'Dust' is just about the same mix, just with more of a red tinge in it. Nice thin mix sprayed from about a foot away. Yes a foot! then I just come in close to fill a few corners and other places where the dust would trap.

Then I clean my laptop and screen..... ops.

Ian M

F

Fenlander

That mix makes a lot of sense. I have been reading loads of builds of Desert vehicles on hundreds of forums, there are some brilliant modellers out there, and the yellow is always a mix, no one uses a single colour except for those who do the same trick as I used on the Tilly. Spray a roughly appropriate desert colour and then build up the shading to give the weathered colour.

One thing that they do have in common is the wearing back to a black metal look. I suppose given that maintenance was concentrated in keeping them running rather than looking smart. The fading by the intense sunlight and the gradual sandblasting by movement and weather must have been hell for the paint.

I have never tried the Maskol dabs type chipping yet but I feel that this is the theatre to make the most of it. I have attempted hairspray method but I find it a tad too easy to go over the top so Maskol it will be for me. The hardest bit though you appear to have mastered, that is the fairly large areas where paint has been worn off such as the wheels you have done. It looks very 'right' so I would be interested in how you did that.

Good luck on the Bedford, nice truck. I have some card on its way from John for the Quad conversion but I have also been asked to do a full photo review/build for the ScaleModelsNow online magazine so I will be holding things up a tad while I do that. The number of pictures that have to be magazine quality and the write up take a lot of time but I enjoy doing it really. Just have to confirm what the kit will be and then get on with it. I am even looking at setting up a permanent camera clamp on the work bench so I can just hit the button on the remote as I keep working. May even have to invest in a new cutting mat wonder where I can get a pink one from lol

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Ian, nice SAS Jeep. Paint chipping and dust look really effective.

Paul