LUT 1/96

Bigfoot57

SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Greetings

No idea if anyone will find this of interest or not but here's how far I've got with the LUT or Launch Umbilical Tower in 1/96 scale I also have the Saturn V to go with it when it's finished

This is the result of 3 months work numerous rebuilds and mods bodged etc its not perfect but the overall effect is pretty good anyway here's a picture of it so far

Regards

Colin

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Very nice Colin, so come on is this the kit or totally scratch made...tell us man :D

Bigfoot57

SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
\ said:
Very nice Colin, so come on is this the kit or totally scratch made...tell us man :D
50 50 the kit or should I say card comes from NASA and you have to build the main base out of either thick card or a wooden frame then cover it with the supplied card the rest is flat printed card that is cut out and then folded and glued into place

Except on my model every single strut has a Chinese wooden skewer sized and cut and then embedded into the rolled card tube for strength and rigitidty and the decks have bracing struts on their undersides again for bracing and strengthening and the central core has a 4ft length of multi compressed and glued corrugated card plank for want of a better word which is why I said at the beginning 50 50 I enclose a couple of the 161 pictures taken so far of its construction

View attachment 112937

image.jpg

Snowman

We come in peace, so shoot to kill!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Cool build!! :smiling3:

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
50 50 the kit or should I say card comes from NASA and you have to build the main base out of either thick card or a wooden frame then cover it with the supplied card the rest is flat printed card that is cut out and then folded and glued into place
Except on my model every single strut has a Chinese wooden skewer sized and cut and then embedded into the rolled card tube for strength and rigitidty and the decks have bracing struts on their undersides again for bracing and strengthening and the central core has a 4ft length of multi compressed and glued corrugated card plank for want of a better word which is why I said at the beginning 50 50 I enclose a couple of the 161 pictures taken so far of its construction
Interesting, well it certainly fits the bill should look awesome when it is all finished with the mighty Saturn V in place.

D

dougie

That well look Cool with the rocket in place, look forward to the combined result

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Very nice work Colin, that's going to look A1 with the Saturn next to it.

Bigfoot57

SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Latest update after 2 weeks of scratch building entire propellants delivery piping on side 1 to replace flat card version supplied. Pipes are made from drinking straws and the framework their attached to resembling a pair for want of a better word budgie ladders made from 1/4" balsa currently attaching those red support rings 55 out of about 97 you can see then the pipes ends need further extensions added to attach them to the various deck branch offs after that need to go over that section tidying up and finally with paint to finish it off then onto the 9 swing arm assemblies etc

View attachment 113326

image.jpg

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
Nice scratch building, Colin some very good work,will look great once the Saturn is with it, ;)

N

noble

Nice work there mate should look the dogs with the rocket attached.

scott

Bigfoot57

SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Another update still constructing and installing railings up to deck 9 now so half way in between waiting for the glue / varnish to dry on the threads for the railings on the jig I decided to roughly build the swing arms stage 1 was to basically put each one together minus it's pipework as I'm not impressed with the flat cardboard renditions and will be scratch building using various diameter sized tubes to represent the various hoses etc that go with each arm these will then connect with the previously installed pipework on the side of the tower

View attachment 115232

image.jpg

Bigfoot57

SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Update on LUT build well I'm not impressed by my completed cardboard swing arms so much so that I have scrapped them and will scratch build some new ones no idea how long this will take could be weeks will post some new pics after I've constructed the 1st one I've attached one pic showing initial construction and death by plastruct

View attachment 116074

image.jpg

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
That`s some seriously good scratch building Colin...... I am going to have to watch the rest of this. Looking really good.

Bigfoot57

SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Greetings Peeps

Here's my latest update on this build not much in the way progress but at least I've finalised how to do the swing arms after scrapping 4 different ways of trying I enclose a few pics showing progress so far bear in mind this is just the rough stage so things like the floor the lighting support beams and other details still need to be added and there are 9 arms to do each with different layouts and fittings but now I have a plan in my head on how to do them and how to scratch build sort of

Regards

Colin

View attachment 117993

View attachment 117994

View attachment 117995

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Great work there Colin, this is looking superb mate.

Bigfoot57

SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Latest update to swing arm 1 nearly there few more bits to do like the floor the wire mesh on the lower sections the lights which won't be lit as there going to be too small in scale the actual arm attachment and swing joints and the remaining pipe work then to finally paint it and add a few little details

As always comments criticisms etc always welcome

Regards

Colin

View attachment 119011

image.jpg

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Nice work Colin, could you use fibre optics for the lighting?