LVT(4) Buffalo in Zoutelande, Netherlands, 2 November 1944

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Superb Jakko.Some really great decals such as Shite hawk.I saw one at Bovington museum couple years ago.My wife said she liked the look of it better than tanks.
Richard.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
This one will have the name ESQUAY on the side, which is just sort of visible in one of the photos I posted, and that I managed to decipher with help from a thread on another forum about the names of British Buffalos.

I just remembered that a museum not far from where I live (but that I’ve never actually visited yet) has an LVT(4), and apparently, it’s in working order:

This one is marked as SPIDER, which was photographed in Middelburg in front of the (temporary) headquarters of the German general Daser, who was in charge of the defence of Walcheren and surrendered on 8 November 1944.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
We’re making progress: the cab and front deck are now on, as are the pontoons and suspension, so it’s starting to look like an LVT.

1BE18E84-F874-41ED-BECC-6F4AC6D4D96B.jpeg

The white paint on the front is because I sprayed the area around the altered hatch (twice) so I could tell if I had sanded the filler down enough. I then sanded some of that away again where the Polsten gun will be added later, so it won’t be glued to paint instead of plastic.

On looking closely at the photos at the start of this thread, I discovered that my choice of armour was most likely correct. On the photo with the people on the front deck, you can just see the armour plate on the bow, and because that doesn’t extend above the nose, it probably means the vehicle had the small armour plates on the pontoons, instead of the larger, single plate AFV Club provides. I had to cut the upper part of the bow armour off, though, just below the gap in the upper curved bit:

52C7BFC0-5618-4BDE-BA02-D0C8046EDBE7.jpeg

And then attach it to the model,

E92860B8-62AA-4776-8D2E-90E2323FC312.jpeg

Also note the filled holes for the armour’s supports on top of the nose, and for the two cleats (the things a rope can be tied to on a vessel). On the kit, these are lengthwise just inboard of the mudguards, but on the real vehicle I’m building this model of, they were transverse at the front edge of those same mudguards. I also tried denting the pipe that forms the edge of the nose, as it was on the real thing.

And a picture of one of the rear vane assemblies. I had been debating whether to use the Eduard parts for this, but the plastic ones look good to me. It needs ejector pin marks filled on about half the parts, though.

00527BA6-72E4-42FF-B6CA-8B746B0DCA5E.jpeg

First Name
colin
Jakko I will follow your build if you don't mind. I've been thinking of getting one of these.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
looking good keep it coming.
Thanks. Now I’m getting to the dull stage, fitting all the little details :smiling3:

I've been thinking of getting one of these.
It’s a good kit, way better than the Italeri alternative. There are a couple of things to look out for, but nothing that should be a problem for a moderately experienced modeller.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
The rear ramp is now finished and added to the model.

E710E74D-602C-4A67-8D06-9EA07CD1A0C3.jpeg

The basic ramp is simple enough, though the pulleys for the cable are irritating: they’re really just too small to thread the cable through correctly, as it needs to turn a 90 degree corner around the pulley, but it’s very difficult to actually do that with the kit parts. Still, I managed reasonably well in the end.

One thing I did differently, was to cut the cable in two and add one length to each side of the ramp, instead of threading it through like AFV Club recommends. I doubt it will actually run through the pulleys, so it’s simpler to do it this way, if you ask me.

I also replaced the kit-provided plastic hooks with copper wire ones glued into holes drilled in the ramp, for durability.

Here’s the ramp down, with the cable tied in place:

D47A2D94-F2EC-4DF8-BC3A-3D30F14AC8C1.jpeg

I built a cleat in both of the rear storage compartments and tied the cable around them, as I’m not good at getting knots in ropes exactly where they should be, so this way gave me some ability to adjust the tension. Once I was happy with that, I superglued the rope together, so it will hopefully never come loose :smiling3:

I still need to scratchbuild one of the eight hinge brackets for the ramp, as I managed to lose one when it flew from my fingers :sad: Despite searching for over a quarter of an hour, I didn’t manage to locate it.

On to the Polsten gun:

B4F37B96-D470-468C-BA3F-8AB94F5DB9C6.jpeg

These are the basic gun and mounting from the Scale Line kit. I replaced the barrel by a length of 1.6 mm aluminium tube, rather than use the flimsy resin one provided. The mounting shown here is only three parts, and though one of the fore-and-aft strips is broken, it needs to be covered in a tarp so I’m not going to fix it.

What remains to be done is add the gun to the mounting, then add the sights and traverse handle, and somehow make a 60-round drum magazine. The kit only has a ten-round box, but the real vehicle had the drum. Luckily it will mostly be covered by the tarp too, so I can probably just add the basic shape from some scrap material instead of having to build a detailed magazine.

Here’s the base mounting it goes onto:

5D412498-C63C-4E1D-BB80-43756FDF56E6.jpeg

The kit provided the front strip too, but it was broken in two and not straight, so it was simpler to replace it by a bit of brass L-profile.

I had also added the boat hooks on the cab roof, but realised these interfered with the mounting, and then couldn’t see the hooks in photos of other Buffalos, so I removed them again.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
More weapons: the vehicle also carried at least two M1919A4 Brownings, both on the left side. I can’t make out from the two photos if it also had any on the right, but four of those guns plus a 20 mm seems excessive compared to photos of other Buffalos, so I suppose both guns were put on the left side for some reason.

Anyway, the kit includes very nice guns and four-part mountings. When I had put that together, though, I spotted an unexpected problem:

3F9B42BF-474E-4405-B568-3BE035A06F1A.jpeg

The bracket for the ammunition box (the squarish thing behind the pivot point) is too far back and the gun sits too low in the mounting to be able to feed from a box installed there, if you ask me.

My first thought was that the gun was wrongly dimensioned, but after looking up the overall length and barrel length of the M1919A4, I found it’s spot on (taking into account that the chamber of this weapon ends at the rear end of the feed tray, not in front of it). I next spent half an hour or more scouring the Internet and several reference books for pictures, but couldn’t find any good ones of this particular type of mounting :sad: All of them either showed a different mount, or this mount with an early type of ammo box, or (in just one or two) the mount without a bracket.

In the end I decided to cut away the bracket entirely:

A65A2B83-3233-4E2C-854D-84158EA9BFDF.jpeg

Then I just stuck the box to the side of the mount and pretend there’s something there to hold it on :smiling3:

27B0A779-A803-41D5-854C-20D2B8A71010.jpeg

The boxes are from Tamiya’s Allied Vehicles Accessory Set (see my jerrycan correction post elsewhere on this forum) and the ammo belt is from their nearly ancient U.S. Infantry Weapons Set, of which I have a couple tucked away. I left off the lid on one of the boxes to have a little variety, though I suspect, given the November weather, that it would have been left on on the real vehicle.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Bolt heads added to the clips that hold on the side armour:

7265E79B-30EF-4FA3-BCA8-4531A9753117.jpeg

These were made with my new 0.7 mm hex punch and die, and I must say it’s almost surprising to see (just) in this photo that it actually is hexagonal :smiling3: I’m quite near-sighted, but still can’t really make out that it isn’t round with my naked eye.

Then onto what could be considered part of the finishing stage, but better done at this point, I think. On the photos of the real thing, you can just make out a heap of sand on the upper surfaces of the pontoons, deposited there by the tracks. These vehicles had been driving along the foot of a row of sand dunes for the better part of 5 km, and so would have picked up plenty of sand with their tracks. That, of course, needs to be replicated on the model:

8BD2E8C1-D921-4F70-9C72-288077E738F5.jpeg
BAD6A21A-21EF-4DC6-9426-446CE3826DCA.jpeg

This is two-part epoxy putty (Sylmasta A+B, to be precise — I still have most of a packet :smiling3:) that I rolled out into a sausage shape and pressed onto the pontoon tops with a steel spatula-type sculpting tool. The rough texture was also created with that, as I discovered by accident that it resulted in this if I scraped its front edge over the putty. It was exactly the look I was after for loose but probably somewhat wet sand.

I didn’t put any on the covers over the rear of the pontoons, because those seem to have the kind of angle that sand would just slide off of. I’ll probably suggest some sand on them with paint, but not a thick build-up like further forward.

Last edited:

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Wow Jakko!! Its all been happening here.Terrific work mate. Wonderful attention to historical accuracy as always. I use filler at the building stage to simulate mud. The epoxy "sand" looks spot on. Keep up the great work

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I’d normally use filler or acrylic gel medium for mud, and add it after painting, but with the amount of sand accumulated on the pontoons, I felt it’d be better to add it before the first coat of paint on the outside.

The model is now mostly finished — all I need to add at this point are shields for the machine guns (none of the three or four types provided in the kit are correct … *sigh*) and a magazine and tarp for the Polsten gun.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Not yet — I first need to finish the bits I mentioned :smiling3: