M J Miniatures Saxon Bust

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

133620_2.jpg

My next bust will be this 1/9 Saxon by M J Miniatures. The figure is depicted holding a Draco standard, a remnant of Roman military practice and used by the Saxons to imply links with King Arthur and the ancient post-Roman kingdom of Wessex.

a5c8471e5970d2c021efb8469eccd560.jpgunnamed (2).jpg

Harold used the standard at Hastings, and it's shown here in the Bayeux Tapestry in the panel that depicts Harold's death (I go with the theory that he's not the chap with the arrow in his eye, but the figure shown further along the panel being felled by a Norman knight).

The box contents:

100_7461.JPG100_7462.JPG

A lot of parts for a bust, and the nice thing is that our Saxon is presented as quite chubby, something that is fairly unusual with resin figures. He's not wearing chain mail, which would be unusual for a man of rank like a standard-bearer in battle, so perhaps he's depicted during the forced march from Stamford Bridge. Nice also to see a complete shield.

So, onto the head:

100_7465.JPG100_7466.JPG

I've gone with quite a lot of contrast, considerably darkening the sides of the head which will be mostly covered by the helmet's cheek guards.

Last edited by a moderator:

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Another one thats new to me Peter.I like this one very much,Did the celts carry something similar to the Draco or am i thinking of a musical instrument.
Face reminds me of someone and i cant put my finger on who he is.
Richard.

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Richard. It quite a complicated kit, so should take a bit longer than usual. As I understand it the Romans took the Draco from the Dacians, so it odes appear to have Celtic roots. I saw a TV programme where they reckoned that it produced a wind-powered roar.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

The IT is playing up again, hopefully I can add this.

Another super head

Enjoy the last warm day?

regards

Steve

D

Deleted member 6559

Steve - Morning. Going to work on the hood today then get the helmet on.

Ralph - Glad you like him.

D

Deleted member 6559

Thanks Andy and Jason

As it happens it's been stripped down in a bath of Flash, ready to be repainted. Today I painted the hood and helmet and attached everything to the torso. Unfortunately, the shading to the face just didn't work under the helmet, and although I tried to re-paint it in-situ, it started getting very encrusted. So, nothing for it but to strip it all down and start again.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

A good day, the IT is working!

Just in time for a do over too.

Its been a while, but I can understand that the helmet makes the the face shading look odd and all wrong.

I guess it will be easier to re paint as you know where it should be.

Its finally raining here, but still quite warm too?

13 C at 4 am, up tooo early as a cat was sick!

Hopefully you will have better light this morning, though the BBC did say the rain will eventually hit the whole UK, as the wet front is coming down from the North/Arctic,
so colder too once the rain has past.

Have fun with the head, a little chubby but not really a Reich Marshall!

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Neil - He does look a bit like old Herman doesn't he?

Steve - A lot of people would paint the face with the helmet on, but I'd find that too difficult. Happy to have another go at it, and pleased that the light will be less glaring - these extra bright days show up every lump and bump.

Ian - Like it! An archer's wind sock, or rather an aiming point for the enemy.

D

Deleted member 6559

The second go at the head:

100_7485.JPG100_7486.JPG

I've tried to use softer transitions between the light and dark, and have used a lighter palette overall.

D

Deleted member 6559

So he's Herman the Saxon now is he Neil?

Slogged on and got back to the stage I was at yesterday:

100_7487.JPG100_7488.JPG100_7490.JPG

Getting the head on was quite a complicated process. I first had to paint the hood/cowl, then attach the the neck guard to the back of the head before attaching the head to the body. I then painted the helmet, except for the rivets which, as blobs of silver can be easily damaged. I glued it in place, painted the rivets, then finished off the metallic parts with a graphite pencil. Next I added the cheek guards and painted them in situ. Finally, all the leather parts were given a coat of satin varnish.

I've used Luftwaffe Uniform for the cowl and I was thinking of stone grey for the tunic. I'll need to have a think about that overnight.

Last edited by a moderator: