M2/M3 Bradley IFV too dusty?

B

BigG12

Hi all,
This is my first post here so first of all hi to everyone!
This 1/35 kit by Academy is my second build since picking up the hobby again after some childhood efforts.
Whole thing is brush painted with Revell and Humbrol enamels. The dusty effect is achieved by mixing enamel thinners with a good amount of Vallejo Desert Dust pigments and a very small amount of enamel paint that is slightly lighter than the base color.
The running wheels and tracks are not finished yet so please disregard those!

I feel like I may have gone a little too heavy on the dust. What do you all think?
Any feedback is much appreciated; dust or other aspects. I definitely try to keep things budget-friendly so please take into account too. I realize it's not great so I would definitely appreciate some critique and if people could point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance!
G
P1080374.JPG P1080363.JPG P1080377.JPG P1080379.JPG P1080376.JPG

Attachments

• P1080376.JPG
    P1080376.JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 3
P

Polux

Welcome to the forum Greg ;)

Your build is lovely! The dust effect is fine to me. I like the look of the grime stains too.
You can add some other darker pigments to create a more varied tonality on the vehicle, but no more. As I said, looks very good :rolleyes:

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
hello,Welcome to the forum Greg,;)
nice work with this one,looks great,
and would say about the same as Polux,with the dust effect,

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
It's a desert, and dusty. It looks great to me.

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hi and welcome to the forum Greg.
Like the rest have said, it looks fine, but like Polux say's just a bit more colour tonality.

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
i think it looks fine as it is, dont think you have over done it at al

im doing the exact same kit at the moment

B

BigG12

Thanks a lot for the feedback everyone!
Good tip about adding a darker shade of pigment. I bought the Desert Dust for because well... This vehicle would be driving in the desert. It turned out very light on it's own. I may as well have used baby powder:D
I can definitely see how adding different shades would improve the look a lot. I'll get some more pigments because I have a few other kits to do from this environment as well.

Any tips on how to make the pigments stick more? As it is now, I can't touch the model at all and applying top coat makes them disappear. I couldn't really find a definitive answer during my research.

J

John Rixon

Any tips on how to make the pigments stick more? As it is now, I can't touch the model at all and applying top coat makes them disappear. I couldn't really find a definitive answer during my research.
Try either pigment fixer or tamiya x20 thinner - load a soft brush with it and very carefully touch it on an area of the pigment, it should wick through the dust and, when dry, magically fixes it! You can also do a mist spray of the fixer over the entire model, but you need to be careful not to blow the pigment away, so try a wide nozzle, from a bit of a distance!

Steve Brodie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
dust looks fine, what color did you use for the actual IFV though looks a little dark

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Welcome to the forum and this looks a great in my eyes
Too dusty
I don't think any AFV council be too dusty if being out in a desert for a wee while sand storms etc.

Well done

Kind regards

Robert

B

BigG12

Thanks for the feedback everyone!
I haven't had a chance yet to get more pigments but here it is with the tracks finished too. 20170601_155442.jpg