M2A1

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Hi Scottie,
Looking more and more like an entry into the excellent class.
Forget the iron, go gas! Bit like sobering up after a night of Newcastle Brown Ale :cold-sweat:, and not knowing if you really kissed that last night.......
Keep up the good work I'm looking forward to more.
Cheers,
MikeC.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Scottie,
Looking more and more like an entry into the excellent class.
Forget the iron, go gas! Bit like sobering up after a night of Newcastle Brown Ale :cold-sweat:, and not knowing if you really kissed that last night.......
Keep up the good work I'm looking forward to more.
Cheers,
MikeC.
Thanks Mike that's an idea I will have to have a look round for something, can you recommend anything?

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Not exactly sure the role of this vehicle as not enough seats for a troop carrier? so may have been as you say a prime mover for the 57mm's.
The original role intended for the Halftrack Car M2 was as a prime mover and ammunition carrier for the 105 mm howitzer. Its use was then expanded to be a machine gun carrier in armoured infantry units and to serve as a reconnaissance vehicle until the Armored Car mate became available. By 1943, they were mostly used as prime movers for the 57-mm Anti-Tank Gun M1 (the American version of the British 6-pounder) and to carry the machine gun squad in each rifle platoon. In practice a lot of them were replaced by M3s, probably because they were roomier.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
The original role intended for the Halftrack Car M2 was as a prime mover and ammunition carrier for the 105 mm howitzer. Its use was then expanded to be a machine gun carrier in armoured infantry units and to serve as a reconnaissance vehicle until the Armored Car mate became available. By 1943, they were mostly used as prime movers for the 57-mm Anti-Tank Gun M1 (the American version of the British 6-pounder) and to carry the machine gun squad in each rifle platoon. In practice a lot of them were replaced by M3s, probably because they were roomier.
Hi Jakko,
Thanks for the info, it's always nice to get some info on what is being built. I must admit I never really get involved in the details of the vehicles I just build them and all those that know me know I never let accuracy stand in the way:tongue-out3:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi John,
Yeah there is a bit isn't there, lol. The tent does make the pics better and I need all the help I can get when taking pics. As you have posted a nice comment I will let you up the front.
Paul .
Thank you, most kind, do I get coffee as well , or is that an extra.
John .

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Scottie,
Sorry for the late reply.
I use a Nimrod Europe Solderpro 70. And for soldering Carr's 188 solder paint, or from China via ebay Classical Mechanic XG-40 solder paste. The XG-40 comes in a little pot and I did get a fast return on my order. I usuall store the Carr's upside down so that it is ready for use. And then you need a flux cleaner, I use a spray one, but cannot find the tin at the moment, but will let you know.
Hope this helps.
Cheers,
MikeC.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Scottie,
Sorry for the late reply.
I use a Nimrod Europe Solderpro 70. And for soldering Carr's 188 solder paint, or from China via ebay Classical Mechanic XG-40 solder paste. The XG-40 comes in a little pot and I did get a fast return on my order. I usuall store the Carr's upside down so that it is ready for use. And then you need a flux cleaner, I use a spray one, but cannot find the tin at the moment, but will let you know.
Hope this helps.
Cheers,
MikeC.
Mike,
Thanks for the information I will look these up and if there in my price range I might treat myself.
Cheers
Paul

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Scottie
That soldered etch gun ring looks brilliant. very neat and sorted.
Jim

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Hey scottie
Nice looking build I’ll be watching this one.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Nice work on the etch. It must have been fun soldering and gluing - not! Hopefully the rest of the build will be less problamatic

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
Glad I've dropped on this one Scottie, as always meticulous construction. I shall join the rabble to follow this one.
Mick

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
It's been a while since I managed any bench time due to that wonderful thing called life getting in the way. Now I am back I have been playing with the etch again and working on the MG's. Firstly the .50. It wasn't until it was all built that I realised that I have it sitting in the cradle wrongly I will have to put that right. If I can't correct it luckily there is another set of etch and another 50 on the sprue. Then one of the three .30's the vehicle carried. I'm not totally convinced about the ammo box on the side and will try to find some better detail shots.
That's all for now enjoy the sunshine and some cold one's.

Attachments

• DSCF1464.JPG
    DSCF1464.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 33
  • DSCF1465.JPG
    DSCF1465.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 34
  • DSCF1466.JPG
    DSCF1466.JPG
    29.6 KB · Views: 31
  • DSCF1467.JPG
    DSCF1467.JPG
    28.1 KB · Views: 29

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Very nice Scottie. A little piece of magic. Great stuff mate:thumb2:

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
Both the .50 and .30 look excellent even with the misplacement.
I can still see the odd bit of plastic though.
Jon.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Scottie
Fiddly, fiddly - much patience but boy do they look good :thumb2: