M3 Honey track...

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
I decided that as the Honey was as near to completion as is, I would get on and build up the tracks. So spent a couple of hours yesterday working out the sequence I would use and built up a length of 16 links.... Today I finished off the one side length. I decided to check on the full length to see if I needed to add more links, and that is when this glaring problem came to the fore.
Academy kit, with Academy individual track links to keep you busy on a cold winters day, dropped the track gently over the top return rollers and worked my way forward to the drive sprocket. Now in my defence I will say that I used the AFV Club set of suspension and running gear, and I half expected this....
AFV Club version...
m3sprocket2.jpg
...So not to be deterred it would simply be a case of take off the AFV Club drive sprockets and add the original Academy drive sprockets....
Academy version...
m3sprocket1.jpg
As you can see - they just do not fit either manufacturer's product, believe me they just do not fit... I tried the unweildy rubber/polythene tracks and yes they do fit but look awfull...
So be warned. More of this will be reported later.
Mike.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Mike
Someone at Academy and AFV have made a c***-*p. I have heard of similar problems with track but that looks particularly bad. If memory serves me right I think Simon T had this difficulty a while back. Don't know how he sorted it - probably scratched a new drive wheel :thinking:
Jim

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Hi Mike
Someone at Academy and AFV have made a c***-*p. I have heard of similar problems with track but that looks particularly bad. If memory serves me right I think Simon T had this difficulty a while back. Don't know how he sorted it - probably scratched a new drive wheel :thinking:
Jim
Jim,
I thought about the new drive sprocket which should not be to hard to build, but have sent off for a set of fruil tracks, so if push comes to shove I get the metal links and still have the rebuild - some days is it really worth getting out of bed :sleeping:
Mike.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Very strange that AFV Club didn’t bother to make sure the links fit their own sprocket parts … They appear to fit marginally better over the Academy sprocket than the AFV Club one, which is even stranger, really.

Do the end connectors sit firmly on the links? My experience with AFV Club’s Sherman tracks was very poor in that respect, and I’ve been wondering ever since if their Stuart tracks are any better.

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Well that’s a load of :poop: :poop:!! Someone at Academy and AFV club need to go back to school !
fingers crossed the Fruils fit the bill :flushed:

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Very strange that AFV Club didn’t bother to make sure the links fit their own sprocket parts … They appear to fit marginally better over the Academy sprocket than the AFV Club one, which is even stranger, really.

Do the end connectors sit firmly on the links? My experience with AFV Club’s Sherman tracks was very poor in that respect, and I’ve been wondering ever since if their Stuart tracks are any better.
Jakko,
Yes they are a tight fit both link to link and the end connectors have no play where you can stretch them a bit. The horrible thing is their b**** rotten rubber type things that want to remain straight actually fit the job. I was thinking at one point of cuttine and c/a'ing a piece to wrap around the sprocket and then just use the other track for the rest of the model, but really the detail is abysmal.
And I fully agree with you and the other guys on here Academy especially want a swift one up the rear, how can you make a mistake like that unless it was a gimmick. I have looked later on the net and there is a few there where they have accepted the fit and it looks as if the tank has thrown a track....
Mike.

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
8585519525_290f56b3bf_c.jpg
the kit sprockets look wrong to me - the teeth of the real thing look narrower and more pointy

the AFV one looks nearest but look like they could do with the corners filing out where the track sits

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
View attachment 363997
the kit sprockets look wrong to me - the teeth of the real thing look narrower and more pointy

the AFV one looks nearest but look like they could do with the corners filing out where the track sits
Simon,
Agreed. Plus there seems to be more of a gap between the links themselves - methiinks even with the Fruil tracks there is going to be some major slashing and cutting going on. Cheers for the pic, I will get the photoshop working, and as I am going to be playing with photo etching and chemicals and stuff, this could lead to my first trial - Igor ramp up the electric (manic laughter, shuffles back into dark cave to converse with the mirror).....
scientist2.jpg
For discussion purposes only and to remember what i used to look like...

Last edited:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Morning Mike.
At this point I'd have it as a wreak, but quite honestly I can't see this defeating you of all people, recommended tool for this type of conundrum is a large mallet.
Yours Ivor Bodge it.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Thanks for flagging this up,Mike
I have one in the stash (it's my grandson's actually.......honest!) and if we ever get around to building it(He's 13 and his interest fluctuates between football, Fortnite, and the occasional modelling session with Grandad),I will remember this.
At least if (when) it goes tits up I will know it's not my fault- I've never done track links before

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Its much like amputating a load of figures and horses and then putting them back together again. Should be right up your street Neil LOL

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Something else I just noticed Mike is the method of fixing the tooth ring to the hub - neither kit is quite right (unless there were different versions) compared to the photo

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Thanks for flagging this up,Mike
I have one in the stash (it's my grandson's actually.......honest!) and if we ever get around to building it(He's 13 and his interest fluctuates between football, Fortnite, and the occasional modelling session with Grandad),I will remember this.
At least if (when) it goes tits up I will know it's not my fault- I've never done track links before
Hello Neil, Just introduce him to girls, guaranteed misery for the rest of his youth, now that is problem solved, and you can build your grandsons Honey which you will inherit in one of his morose days...

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Something else I just noticed Mike is the method of fixing the tooth ring to the hub - neither kit is quite right (unless there were different versions) compared to the photo
Just looked, now seriously depressed :angry:. Right! once the weather improves and I can spend time in the laboratory (man shed) I will use the photo above as my template, get into photoshop (all praise photoshop Ummmmmmmmmmm!) change it to a b/w illustration and then proceed through Plasmo's youtube tutorial on how to etch brass at home. Do not worry folks, if all goes wrong and I turn green, then you know who to blame....
Seriously, it now looks as if the kit was put together to a budget and for ease of assembly rather than have the sprocket seperate from the hub, but that is mass production, and we have to live with it. So more on future development later, it will not be forgotten, it's sitting glaring at me out of the cabinet. Correct me if I am wrong, but I am sure there was a kit of a tank issued where the tooth ring was seperate from the hub, sure it was a Sherman.
Mike.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Italeri’s Sherman suspension has separate sprocket rings, and comes with both the “webbed” type and the ones with the simple circular centre.

Chief problem with this is that the track Italeri used to supply with these kits was, as I’m sure you know, rather stiff. Especially the webbed type of sprocket ring had a tendency to come loose under the force the track exerted on it.

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Italeri’s Sherman suspension has separate sprocket rings, and comes with both the “webbed” type and the ones with the simple circular centre.

Chief problem with this is that the track Italeri used to supply with these kits was, as I’m sure you know, rather stiff. Especially the webbed type of sprocket ring had a tendency to come loose under the force the track exerted on it.
Yes, I was just musing and getting the grey cells to work as I could remember these which proves how old the kits must be.

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Update.
Today the Fruils arrived, and first a Thank you to Historex of Dover for a first class service, with whom I would have spent a lot more money had the parking area outside accomodated a 44 ton truck and trailer.
The box was opened with some trepidation and I must admit to a feeling of wasted my time and money. But I am a big boy now and know when to admit I am wrong...
The goodies in the box...
fruilm31.jpg
Instructions - you get two sets, one is the usual safety etc instructions, and the other is for the assembly of the track.
You can see here three bags - top left is the track links for 'straight sections, top right are the outside track pads and bottom centre ia a bag of slightly off centre links for completing the sbaded areas on the drawing to the left, sprocket, first road wheel and idler wheel - plus the obligatory brass wire, which in this set did have a wicked amount of spring in it - you have been warned, luckily it hit the optivisor and not my eye.
fruilm32.jpg
So the test fit went very well indeed, with just three links pushed into place before any wire or c/a were used... OK so connect up a set of links and see how a short length will do...
fruilm33.jpg
I think that speaks for itself a near perfect fit and more importantly a fit that is acceptable. I would advise that before you construct the drive sprockes you give the insides a gentle rub down just to thin the drive sprockets out. This will give you a bit more 'play' as the width is a bit tight. Too late for me, but will be remembered for any future Honey's.
fruilm34.jpg
Here are the front set, I have seven joined together but would advise to use eight of the 'tilted' links, then two for the first road wheel and of course half an idler wheel amount. With two 'straight' links beween the drive sprocket and the front roadwheel two links.
fruilm35.jpg
just as a size comparison between the links for the Honey and a set for my Chieftain build. You can see the brass rods for each link. I di not c/a the end which is usual but put a touch of c/a in the middle of the link so that the rod was glued to the link. This allows the links to have full mobility. The small 'block' is actually one of the track pads which is located in the two depressions and over the brass rod, with a small blob of c/a paced there before attachment.
So thanks to Fruil for making the tracks that actually fit, and now it is on with the second set of drive sprocket links and then the rest of the tracks. I will publish pics once these are built and in place.
Mike.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Good for you Mike, big relief. Those Fruils are the dogs, I actually enjoy building them , sad I know :nerd:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
That certainly fits a lot better than the AFV Club track does. Now the fun of putting it all together :smiling3: