M3A1 1/72 Mirage hobby

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Something a bit less stressful I hope looking forward to this picked it up second hand from models for sale quite a hard one to get hold of so snapped it up a bit quick
20210607_190010.jpg
20210607_190541.jpg
Box art and bits just noticed got the old pinkie in the pic ,still all seems nice and crisp so will get under way.
20210607_190853.jpg
Oh and postie bought these PCB drills they can be a bit brittle ie they don't take kindly to drilling around corners but at about three and a bit squids and free postage I like em much sharper than ordinary drill bits. Hopefully back soon. Dave

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Looks a neat little kit Dave. I started a Mirage 1/72 M3 Stuart once and it was a nice kit with great instructions. Looking forward to seeing how this kit goes together. Good luck

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Well its been a while not lost mojo but more of a thought a good job just couldn't be bothered, still so the result is in and what a nice little kit crisp and clean built with no problems even the tracks were hassle free, felt a bit like the Dragon ones
20210626_164113.jpg
20210626_164136.jpg
20210626_164222.jpg
Added my own grab handles and mg barrels from Albion Alloys brass rod and slip tubing.
So on to the primer this is bit of a constant site discussion I try and keep it simple clear a space and jump in
20210626_171826.jpg
Apart from some kitchen roll and a plastic beaker with some tap water these are the three items used primer given a good shake say twelve drops straight from the bottle into the airbrush cup ,twelve drops of mr hobby aqueous thinner using a pipette from the jar also straight into the cup mix with a paint brush and slap it on
20210626_171741.jpg
20210626_171757.jpg
Flush through with mr hobby tool cleaner final flush with the tap water job done. Airbrush used was a sub thirty pound cheapie with a .3 needle air pressure somewhere between 15 and 18 i never change the air pressure ill change paint and thinners to suit air pressure.The missed bit on the end of the barrel is from where I held it the main body I stick a pinkie in the hole where the turret goes and pick it up much easier to move about and tilt where you want it than use thoes turn tables I use them for painting but don't like em for spraying too restrictive.
Weather not promising for tomorrow so fishing can wait hopefully chuck some green on it instead.Dave

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Ha! yes another day at the assembly line and paint shop and that's how it's done. Great stuff Dave, no fuss over using the airbrush and it's not a dark art or precious tool...I like that.
Also interestng subject...I'm wondering if they have one in 1/35th scale a cast M3 hull.

Looking forward to next stage.

Cheers,
Richard

Last edited:

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Ha! yes another day at the assembly line and paint shop and that's the was it's done. Great stuff Dave, no fuss over using the airbrush and it's not a dark art or precious tool...I like that.
Also interestng subject...I'm wondering if they have one in 1/35th scale a cast M3 hull.

Looking forward to next stage.

Cheers,
Richard
Thanks Richard as I said a nice little kit ,there was some absolutely lovely photo etch to do the insides of the hull doors but with no interior what was the point ,can't help you with a 1/35 version ,both sets of decals are for training school versions so don't even know if it was used in combat ,it was the box art that piqued my intrest im not bothered with its history or this is incorrect and thats not right if the box header says its one then good enough for me. I must admit my building ethos has changed in recent months I build to finish now build because I want to build it no more fed up with that throw it and start something else ,it is what it is ,as the still sadly missed Simon T would have said thats why they call it modeling.
As for primer keep it simple one shot primer isn't the best out there (you won't find better than mr hobby) I only bought because of all the moans and problems people were having with it wanting to see what the fuss was ,basically bottle says giant needle dont thin and crank up pressure till your airbrush is like trying to use a fireman's hose. I'm not the most popular person on here anyway but people even after a good shake what comes out of the bottle ive seen thinner ketchup why even try and spray with it ,keep it simple I use mr hobby aqueous thinner wich I think is the best acrylic thinner out there or use that manufacturers own brand not six or seven totally erelevent products ie retarder flow improver de ionised tintagel spring water as used by King Arthur etc,start at fifty fifty if you need to go thinner then thin it some more ,I spray at about 15 to 18 never changed it since I've had the compressor ill change the paint to suit(or some times that little knob twirly thing under the air brush)check out on a sheet of printer paper if all is good bash on if not adjust and try again know its right before you point it at your lovingly built model. Keep it simple as you say Richard its no dark art its supposed to be a past time its nothing to do with your airbrush its paint to thinner ratio and air pressure thats all simples.
Looking forward to spraying this one no hard edges to use for effects so thinking cap on will come back with pics good or bad when done once again thanks for your help and kind support. Dave

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Dave, the 'dark art of airbrushing' simply explained. Just can't understand why people still try to force sludge through an airbrush and expect miracles. :smiling2:
Have used constant air pressure too all these years with no problem...not bothered to go under the table just to adjust the valves.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Jakko, for the heads up for my bucket list but lets see how Dave gets on with his smaller scale cousin. Looks pretty detailed for its size.

Cheers,
Richard

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Hi Dave, the 'dark art of airbrushing' simply explained. Just can't understand why people still try to force sludge through an airbrush and expect miracles. :smiling2:
Have used constant air pressure too all these years with no problem...not bothered to go under the table just to adjust the valves.

Cheers,
Richard
Richard I've always mixed by drops from the bottle or if using jar paint(mr Hobby tamiya) i use a little mr tool paint spoon ,thinner i put in by drops with a pipette keeping track of the numbers used once its alright if I run out I can mix exactly the same consistency again no probs ,as all this is done in the airbrush no waste hardly ,no dirtying jars ,pipettes ,transferring from this to that before you've even shown it to the airbrush, I know people won't like my attitude towards this im not telling people what to do im just trying to say this is what I do ,I enjoy using my airbrushes the cheap ones get as much use as the expensive one ,I dont need to make a call to God asking for his guidance, practice practice spend a couple of evenings getting it right(I did)hey I still have the odd blip but thats all part of the learning curve ,keep it simple enjoy it . I'm glad your thoughts run with mine I just get annoyed that this whole part of the hobby is spoiling it for thoes that struggle with it. Dave

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Hi all day off ,their fitting a stair case on the job didn't want to listen to premadona chippies (wood butchers)moaning about this isn't right thats wrong they've sent the wrong this so better of out of it. Was going to go fishing but once again weather put paid to that(yes I am a fairweather fishermen) so decided to throw some paint about.
First some dark drab
20210628_101255.jpg
Then left it under the lamps ,washed up and packed away came back gave it some drab
20210628_104204.jpg
As you can see nothing wasted whats left in the cup is used up trying diffrent things on the paper ,anyway once again left it under the lamps ,swept through and hoovered up, emptied recycling bag in bin mended loose bog seat came back and gave it the final coat just drab I think
20210628_115747.jpg
20210628_115118.jpg
So a busy morning earned my brownie points and got the spray job done ,next up a filter coat, decals I usualy remember these when I've nearly finished paint and fix pioneer tools I like to do these on the sprue then I'll decide whether to varnish or not before weathering. I will also try and tidy the work bench ,bless she never says much about not being able to remember the last time she saw her dining table.
20210628_104536.jpg
Untill the next time stay safe all I fear its not quite over yet. Dave

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
thoes rear return roller sprocket things rubber or metal?
(Replying here instead of in the thread where you actually asked :smiling3:) I’m not entirely certain which wheels you mean, but only the roadwheels had a rubber tyre. The return rollers are the small wheels on top of the bogies, and they were hollow steel pieces, while the idler wheel (the raised rear wheel) had a steel rim, and no rubber tyre. This applies to all variants of the Medium Tanks M3 and M4, except the M4s with the later, wide tracks and entirely revised suspension.

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
(Replying here instead of in the thread where you actually asked :smiling3:) I’m not entirely certain which wheels you mean, but only the roadwheels had a rubber tyre. The return rollers are the small wheels on top of the bogies, and they were hollow steel pieces, while the idler wheel (the raised rear wheel) had a steel rim, and no rubber tyre. This applies to all variants of the Medium Tanks M3 and M4, except the M4s with the later, wide tracks and entirely revised suspension.
Thanks Jakko thats the one ,raised rear ,I'll crack on once again thanks for your time Dave

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Dave,
That is a cracking build mate the paint finish is excellent.
Thanks Paul as I said its a cracking little kit the few bits I added were my choice really nothing wrong with the kit parts but its nice to have a little fiddle ,paints were the ammo ones with yellow tops thinned with mr hobby aqueous thinner never have a problem ,the whole thing was sprayed up in a morning between doing house chores, great believer in keep it simple keep it fun ,thank for your kind comments ,have bashed on with a bit more this afternoon so should post some more pics soon. Dave.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
David, simple yes it is if done properly but others may make a fuss over the exact proportions of paint mix and swear by formulas. Don't know why perhaps it's their kind of fun. :smiling3:

Miss the old days of experimentation...now it's easy peesy. Glad you're showing it's not a dark art and enjoying the build. BTW nice base finish and artwork in the background.

Cheers,
Richard

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
David, simple yes it is if done properly but others may make a fuss over the exact proportions of paint mix and swear by formulas. Don't know why perhaps it's their kind of fun. :smiling3:

Miss the old days of experimentation...now it's easy peesy. Glad you're showing it's not a dark art and enjoying the build. BTW nice base finish and artwork in the background.

Cheers,
Richard
Thanks Richard any paint left in the cup is always sprayed off on to some printer paper its all just good practice trying things out what else are you going to do with it put it in a jar for another day mix in this transfer to that no I always try to only knock up enough for the job, whats on your bench at the moment or have I missed some of your posts. Dave

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Richard any paint left in the cup is always sprayed off on to some printer paper its all just good practice trying things out what else are you going to do with it put it in a jar for another day mix in this transfer to that no I always try to only knock up enough for the job, whats on your bench at the moment or have I missed some of your posts. Dave
I do that sometimes but mostly just spray into my waste paint jar. At the mo I'm working on scratching some rifles that aren't in kit form...posting in a bit but there is a pre-hint image in the "What's on your bench" posting.

Cheers,
Richard

outrunner

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
What lovely job you are doing there, anyone who works in that scale, or smaller, has my undying admiration.

Andy.

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Yay at last got this one in the bag, nothing negative to say about the kit except for some reason it dragged on a bit so one pic here rest in the completed vehicles bit.
20210710_192053.jpg
Got a new phone purely to upgrade camera hope pics aren't too bad still trying to get head around it a bit. Dave