M4A3E2 Sherman, Germany 1945

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Since I was painting two Shermans at more or less the same time, here is the other one finished:

CA46937E-F4EE-4CCB-B50B-FC87116CC8B7.jpeg14D91FC6-51E0-4F9B-88F7-A249719118C6.jpegE7C5DF40-A6A8-4D96-A628-84F036A31EFA.jpegFFADBE12-7AAF-4442-9DD2-77CA670F1BAF.jpeg006D6F9A-EC92-4923-9947-0279013DD85F.jpeg

The crew are Royal Model, intended for an M26 Pershing but equally suitable for an M4, if you ask me. I put the co-driver in the loader’s hatch, busy reaching for a bottle (he is intended to have his arm resting on the open co-driver’s hatch) and left out the loader figure, who will go into another model at some point.

Though a bit hard to see in this photo, I painted the crew as black men, even though they have more or less caucasian features, because 761 Tank Battalion was a “colored” unit, meaning it had white officers as well as black ones, but all enlisted men were black. They were apparently one of the best American tank battalions in Europe exactly because of the institutional racism of the time: the 761st had spent several years in the USA playing the enemy in exercises with units slated for being sent overseas, so its members had far more experience than most other “green” units going to war. It was eventually deployed to France in October 1944. The battalion ended up in Patton’s Third Army, and thus in combat, only because that was desperate for replacement troops, not because of any enlightened attitudes. They were then in combat for the next six months and ended the war in Austria.

Last edited:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Thanks, painting figures isn’t my forté but they came out fairly well. Perhaps I need to add stronger shadows next time, though.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Excellent result. Figures are good. The paint job/weathering is spot on.
Jim

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Thanks, guys :smiling3:
The paint job/weathering is spot on.
Much of that actually came about by accident :smiling3: I put a dirty wash all over the model, but on the sides it kind of drew together a little because of surface tension (water-thinned Tamiya acrylics over Gunze-Sangyo base). When it dried it gave a rather good-looking effect that reminds me of dirt having been partly washed away by the rain.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Nice job Jakko, The rain washed effect is very, err, effective! Happy accidents are always the best kind. Love the "field replaced" wheel on the right hand track. nice little touch.
Oddly enough I stumbled on a you tube video about the unit, it was rather interesting.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Replacement wheels are always an easy touch on a Sherman, because there were so many styles by the end of the war :smiling3: The Asuka instructions even suggest it, which you don’t often see in kits, I think.

As for YouTube videos, I just looked for those and found several, so it’s hard to work out which one you mean :smiling3: I will have to actually watch some of them, I suppose — I just looked at the beginnings of a couple, and some seem worth the effort. Others, not so much :smiling3:

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Terrific build Jakko and great attention to detail. Figures are well done also. Lovely work all round