Macross - Destroid Defender 1/72

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
That’s what I was kind of hoping they wouldn’t have :smiling3: Looks like you’ll just have to choose one or the other and run with it?

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Gavin
I'm not into this genre but they do look fun. I know Steve enjoyed his foray into sci-fi. Despite the fit issues you have got it together nicely. Great idea to display with the armoured car for scale. I look forward to the painting/weathering. Great scope there and hopefully the book will give you some ideas.
Jim

Snowman

We come in peace, so shoot to kill!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Hi Gavin
I'm not into this genre but they do look fun. I know Steve enjoyed his foray into sci-fi. Despite the fit issues you have got it together nicely. Great idea to display with the armoured car for scale. I look forward to the painting/weathering. Great scope there and hopefully the book will give you some ideas.
Jim

Thanks for the words of support, much appreciated.

Anyway, we move on to a spot of pre-shading.
This will hopefully allow me to add a bet of depth to the paint job.

Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• PRE-SHADING.jpg
    PRE-SHADING.jpg
    229.5 KB · Views: 12

Snowman

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
The mission continues and the garage is pretty darn cold at the moment, but I can't lose momentum.

The first round of colour goes on.
a bit of colour 1.jpeg

Thanks for watching.:thumb2:

Snowman

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Well, I finally threw down the last colour modulation and I am happy with the results.
more colour 2.jpeg
more colour 3.jpeg

On closer inspection, a bit rough so I may have to give that a bit more attention. Was probably rushing it a bit with the cold.:thinking:

Anyhow, thanks for looking.

Snowman

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
It was a bit warmer today, no hard frost on the ground, so I ventured out to the garage and did a bit more painting and assembly.
I think the kits are starting to come together quite nicely. Did a 50/50 smoke and clear green treatment on the inside of the windows and I quite like what I see.

LAC coming together.jpg
Defender coming together.jpg

The only problem with super close ups, there is no hiding any blemishes, but a distance the effect looks more believable.

Anyway, things are getting together and are looking pretty good.

Thanks for looking!

Snowman

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Seasons greetings all!

I finally managed to get the decals on, one or two mistakes but overall I am very pleased with the finish. Next round I will seal the decals before I start the weathering process.
Decals 2.jpg
Decals 1.jpg
Decals 3.jpg
Thanks for looking.

Last edited:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
That’s looking very good so far :smiling3:

Quick question: how tall is the model? I have Bandai’s 1:100 Warhammer Attack Tomahawk, but I suppose this model would be a fair amount larger than that, so posing them together won’t work?

Snowman

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
That’s looking very good so far :smiling3:

Quick question: how tall is the model? I have Bandai’s 1:100 Warhammer Attack Tomahawk, but I suppose this model would be a fair amount larger than that, so posing them together won’t work?
You are quite correct there Jakko, this one is 1/72 which will be bigger than than the 1/100 kit. This 1/72 scale kit stands about 15cm (150mm) tall to the top of the radar.

On the flipside, you could do a perspective diorama with the smaller kit in the "distant" back ground?

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I could, except I won’t be building a diorama with it :smiling3: I intend to build the model I have as a BattleTech WHM-3R Warhammer by means of nothing more than a paint job as this particular one:

Warhammer.jpg

If the Destroid Defender were about the same size, I could call it an RFL-3N Rifleman and pose the two together, but alas :sad:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Like Tim , not my genre Gavin but I can appreciate the skill to build. The instructions looked pretty complex to me and the result so far is great. Shall follow .

Snowman

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
I could, except I won’t be building a diorama with it :smiling3: I intend to build the model I have as a BattleTech WHM-3R Warhammer by means of nothing more than a paint job as this particular one:

View attachment 441927

If the Destroid Defender were about the same size, I could call it an RFL-3N Rifleman and pose the two together, but alas :sad:
I very much like the Mechwarrior/BattleTech/Battlemech and the back ground story to the genre. Read enough novels and played enough games to have it well engrained in my psyche.:thumb2:

On a positive note they do a 1/72 variant of it from the original Macross source. This is sold on hlj.com
1641328928445.png
1/72 MBR-04 MK-VI DESTROID TOMAHAWK

Last edited:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
That would be interesting too, I may have to see if I can find it somewhere with fewer (read: no) import duties, though :smiling3:

Snowman

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Hi ya all!

I been giving the base some thought and as mentioned before I don't want to go as big as the Regult build.
PICT0001.JPG
PICT0003.JPG
Whilst this achieved everything I wanted, it is a bit big and unwieldy when taking to model shows. My mission this time around was to achieve the same effect but in a much more compact vignette. I have opted for a dinky ScaleModelScenery.co.uk base measuring only 100mm x 140mm. It has a back that I will cut off as it will be limiting IMO.
base.jpg
This has now allowed me to do some design work on a proposed layout.
design proposal.jpg
test layout.jpg
Anyhow, still some more thinking and pondering to do.

Till next time! :thumb2:

Snowman

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Hi ya all!

I've been tinkering on the base, chopped an glued it as well as fixing a foam board as the vignette surface.
base2.jpeg
Base1.jpeg

The kerb tiles were glued in place and the central barrier and street lights temporarily pinned. With the Destroid and LAV in place is starting to come together.

base3.jpeg
base4.jpeg

Snowman

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Just seen this Gavin, some great work, looking very good indeed.
Thanks for the support!

As my little adventure continues, I thought that I would try something different with regards to creating road surfaces. Typically I'd use Polyfilla and apply with a scraper, paint and weather accordingly.

This time I decide to use Vallejo's earth texture acrylics, black lava-asphalt.

Vallejo earth texture.jpeg

Very nice stuff, easy to apply with a flat wooden lolly stick, it has good coverage and solid colour, but I think it may be too coarse for this scale (1/72). Anyway, it's not earth shattering, just an observation.
As you can see it is still wet as it has a 30 - 45 minute curing time.

The final analysis will be after it dries, I've painted the road markings and weather the surface. Then we will see if this departure from form pays off.

Till next time, thanks for watching!:thumb2:

Snowman

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Hi ya all!

The base is about finished, its been a bit of a mission, but as such I am please with the results.

Initially it was just getting the paving and central barrier in place.
Early 1.jpg
early 2.jpeg
This was followed with with the street lights, some vegetation and more dust and dirt.
Almost fin 1.jpeg
Almost fin 2.jpeg.jpg

As you can see I have been having fun.

Next is weathering and mounting the Mech and LAV.

Thanks for watching!

Till the next update. :thumb2: