Magnifier glasses

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Hi chaps this is prob a frequent asked question but I’m looking for a pair of glasses ( no should have gone to spec savers jokes please!
I already wear glasses when it comes to modelling but I’m thinking more hoping for a solution to this age old problem. As a lot of you know I’m building my BISMARCK in 1/350 scale with a lot of PE. The latest that turned up were the flak veirling 2cm in a little. They have resin bases and gun mounts but I struggle with very minute things even with the trust specs on.
I have seen on the tinder net a lot of these magnifier glasses that seem very cheap but wonder do any of you more experienced modellers have any suggests?

Kind regards

Robert

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
(Deleted post)
Thought you were looking for a magnifier, not glasses ; )
Cheers, Steven

Last edited:

Gary MacKenzie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gary
I use an optivisor due to my deteriorating eyesight.
Means you can keep your prescription lenses in your normal glasses and use optivisor to magnify that clear image.

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Thanks guys I have now got a set my wife got me that has 5 differant magnify and light toga sits in front of your ( my glasses so can flip up when not using
Will post pics soon

Thanks again

Robert

Reactions: JR

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Could you put on a pic please Robert as I might need a new one soon as my old one is good but getting worn an wont stay in the up postion
chris

D

Deleted member 5496

First of all Robert.

Specs. I wear specs for reading. But that is only to put your eyes as if in a normal mode without specs ie 6 6 vision.

I wanted something closer to that to wear all the time. Also working at the same length from the subject. My
optician proceeded to provide lens which did that. They have made an enormous difference.

Working even closer. Le Loup https://www.theloupestore.co.uk/Headband-Loupes/High-Grade-Headband-Magnifier-non-flipup.html

I use these These are pro. magnifiers. The lens are ground glass which gives perfect clarity & does not scratch.

The frame is lightweight. A number of lens can be bought giving different magnification. The frame can be
worn easily over spectacles. A number of lens are available & can be inter-changed.

The great advantage of wearing your magnifier is that it moves with your head to concentrate on the subject.
Magnifying lamps do not

What not to buy (in my opinion). Plastic magnifiers with lights. These have a battery & light which ups the weight
of the unit which is just not what you want. That is from experience. Plastic lens which scratch & do not have the
clarity of ground glass lens.

Presumably with out the magnifiers you are working under good lighting. That being the case you do not need
unnecessary lighting on the magnifiers.

Laurie

D

Deleted member 7181

What not to buy (in my opinion). Plastic magnifiers with lights. These have a battery & light which ups the weight
of the unit which is just not what you want. That is from experience. Plastic lens which scratch & do not have the
clarity of ground glass lens.
I bought some of those and have to agree, I've only used the light once and decided it wasn't worth the extra weight of the batteries. I also have to be super careful not to get anything on the lenses as I don't think the plastic would be too resilient. Fantastic for being able to see small details but probably well into the budget, get you started category.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Andy.
I bought these.I assume you mean the same.342941

Although plastic they are quite sturdy, I leave mine on the bench and they haven'y scratched yet. I don't find the weight a problem either as Laurie has mentioned. Any one who has worn a face mask or ear defenders while at work gets used to any thing on their head or face.
At just under £20 I think they are great, the 3.5 lens is a tad too strong in my mind, I prefer the 2.5. Along with my 1.75 main optivisor light its just the job.
Each to their own I suppose.:smiling3:

D

Deleted member 7181

Yes, those are the ones John. Good to hear that the lens is more sturdy than I feared. I too prefer the 2.5 lens after trying the others but with a couple of LED strip lamps above my bench I find the built in lamp redundant.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I have a pair of those as well. I use them as a set for taking on self catering holiday breaks. Not as comfortable as an optivisor, but a lot easier to pack.....the light is useful in that situation as I obviously don’t take the bench lamp. On the bench at home I use the optivisor with 2.5 lens exclusively though....it is better made and more comfortable.

Last edited: