MAiM (Modern Armies in Miniatures) quality? 3D printed figures?

J

Jens Andrée

Whilst looking for paraphernalia to use in my German "what if" build I'm doing I came across MAiM and their Front'46 figures and many of them are very impressive!
www.modernarmies-in-miniatures.de

maim35331neu.jpg

After looking around on their website I quickly discovered that almost all of their product pictures were rendered images from 3D objects and not the actual figures, and I also discovered at the same time that most, if not all?, figures are 3D printed.
This doesn't automatically have to mean that they're bad because modern industrial 3D printers are very good, but they are also very expensive and I'm not sure what these guys are using to produce their kits...?

Have any of you figure aficionados got any experience with MAiM's figures? It doesn't have to be the Front'46 series, just in general?

I'd rather not pay £13-25 per 1/35 scale figure if they have printlines like most 3D prints are before you acetone polish them...

They look fantastic but so do I when modelled by a professional in 3D and I know that I can sometimes look rather shabby - especially in the mornings... ;)
Looks can be deceiving, that's my point and I'm not going to accept someones quality purely based on 3D renditions.

Many thanks in advance,
Jens

T

Tony

Jens

Found this link on youtube to one of the figures they produce

Do a youtube search on
Modern armies in miniature figures

Not sure its allowed to post the video which is how it posted here.

Might be my eyesight but the skirt on the figure does appear to look as if it might have layer lines through it but its not a great close up so could be wrong

J

Jens Andrée

I've seen those videos but they are not sharp enough (for my eyes anyway) to make a solid assessment.
Sometimes you can briefly see some lines, but are they actual lines or are they just an effect of the polymer/plastic being semi opaque whilst being backlit?

Someone must've bought one of their figures somewhere?

J

Jens Andrée

I can now confirm that the layers are visible upon close inspection.

6ce57cd8aec1cd956e89945ccdf5a6c7.jpg

However, looking at painted and finished figures this isn't visible so I think there's no reason to worry here.
If you have something with a dome or similar smooth shape you can always sand that piece after priming I guess?

fc0ae5ebce57e2caf7b74300402c0e64.jpg

I like the figures they make! Just a bit expensive - and when looking at alibaba and similar I've found loads of cheap Chinese copies of the MAiM figures so beware if you're going to buy on of these. Best buying them from the source I guess...

Sadly I can't link to the owner of the below picture for proper credit since I found it in an Akamai cache (Google image search), but his name is on the picture so I think it is in order.

S

sprueone

Hi Jens,
I have a few 1/24 scale kits from MAIM and yes, the layers are visible out of the box.