Making hinges

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi I have been asked if I could do a quick how to on making hinges. I will show two ways of hopefully achieving a hinge look. My apologies it is a bit photo heavy but it is easier to see than for me to explain.

I have made them much larger than they would be so it is easier to see. They are also not as neat as they could be as I have used of cuts etc.

The first way to represent the hinge.

Cut a length of rod normally 0.3/0.5mm wire and gently roll under the blade of the hobby knife to impart grooves to show the moving parts. Glue this to where the centre of the hinge would be on the model.

DSCF3270.JPG

Next cut to flat parts for either side of the rod and again glue these to the parts to be "hinged".

DSCF3272.JPG

Next the fixing method can be replicated, in the picture I have shown 3 ways that I use one shows a weld bead made with the tip of a modelling knife. The other shows rivet detail and screw detail you could also use hex head for bolts.

DSCF3273.JPG

The next way is to make a working hinge, a little more complicated but after a few goes are quite easy.

Make two plates a male and female the size you want to represent. the tongues need to be as long as the circumference of the wire so for 0.5mm wire = 1.57mm.

DSCF3274.JPG

Next bend up the tab on each about half way down.

DSCF3276.JPG

Then cut a length of the wire and place between the tabs and fold them over to form the hinge. I normally place a dot of CA on the centre to prevent the pin dropping out.

DSCF3277.JPG

Then cut the wire to length. and detail the plate as in the previous example.

With a bit of practice a working hinge can be made.

DSCF3279.JPG

Hope this is of some use. There are of course other ways and people use what they find works for them.

cheers
Scottie

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
That's most helpful and very clear. Your second method I have seen and used. Works very well.
The first method I have not seen but although perhaps less realistic it is simple, effective and possible even for 1/72.
Thanks
Jim

outrunner

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Great info on the hinge work there Scottie, thanks.

Andy.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Scottie i use doll house hinges on my tiger but if you like makin them hinges all good an well as its modeling an'it it great stuff
chris b

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Great stuff Scottie, hope to see many try their own hinges from hear on.

Cheers,
Richard

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
That's most helpful and very clear. Your second method I have seen and used. Works very well.
The first method I have not seen but although perhaps less realistic it is simple, effective and possible even for 1/72.
Thanks
Jim
Thats a great "how to" mate. Thanks for posting
Great info on the hinge work there Scottie, thanks.

Andy.
Excellent! Thanks Scottie.
HI Scottie i use doll house hinges on my tiger but if you like makin them hinges all good an well as its modeling an'it it great stuff
chris b
Great stuff Scottie, hope to see many try their own hinges from hear on.

Cheers,
Richard
Well done Scottie :thumb2:

Thanks guys I hope it will be of some use.

Strenko J

Faithful rabble apprentice
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Great tips Paul… Now all I need you to do is swing over to the USA and make mine for my next build

• Haha
Reactions: JR

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Wish I were a scratch builder Paul and not just an assembler! My eyes and hands are utterly incapable of this level of detailing nowadays - the beauty of old age is that I can snigger as I realise you'll get to this level of incapability some day Ha, ha, ha ...... my precious :tears-of-joy:! Having said that - wow!
Steve

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Short and sweet SBS Paul. Top info and easy peazy too. Good job Bro!!!

Prost
Allen

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Wish I were a scratch builder Paul and not just an assembler! My eyes and hands are utterly incapable of this level of detailing nowadays - the beauty of old age is that I can snigger as I realise you'll get to this level of incapability some day Ha, ha, ha ...... my precious :tears-of-joy:! Having said that - wow!
Steve
Steve, don't worry mate I am struggling as well now, things are harder to see and the fingers are getting stiffer.