Making masks for wiper sweep on windscreens.

outrunner

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Any short cuts or easy way to make the above and which masking tape is best? I was playing about for a while earlier and can not seem to get it right.

Andy.

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
you need a compass cutter to get the arc right...........i just use cheapest modelling tape i can get.....needs to be wide enough

Del640

SMF Supporter
First Name
Del
Interested in this as I'm half way through a Velociraptor and I've just ordered a Kübelwagen!!!

Last edited:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Best tape is Tamiya in my opinion. Echo Paul ref the compass cutter. It’s far easier than trying to find the right sized jars etc. Olfa is the usual make. You could make do with just a standard compass if you are good at cutting curves though.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Yes, Tamiya Masking Film & an Olfa cutter
DSCF1238.JPG
Wiper pivot point & top end of blade gives outer diameter, pivot point & inner end, inner diameter. then just careful application.............................
Dave

Del640

SMF Supporter
First Name
Del
Yes, Tamiya Masking Film & an Olfa cutter
View attachment 411006
Wiper pivot point & top end of blade gives outer diameter, pivot point & inner end, inner diameter. then just careful application.............................
Dave
Dave,

I've done a quick search, but can't find the relevant Olfa cutter... Pointers?

Cheers

Del

Edit: found plenty of the cutters, recommendations on size?

Last edited:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Del, can't you just pencil in the wiper arcs and then simply apply a light wash of whatever paint with a brush? This would also induce some very nice slight runs and streaks,

Del640

SMF Supporter
First Name
Del
Del, can't you just pencil in the wiper arcs and then simply apply a light wash of whatever paint with a brush? This would also induce some very nice slight runs and streaks,
That would entail a level of expertise and competency.....I wouldn't know where to start!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looking at the “questions and answers“section it goes down to 1 cm diameter (0.5 cm radius) circles Del.

outrunner

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
What type of surface do you guys use when cutting the tape as I am not having much success with my cutter as the point keeps moving or the blade digs in to my cutting mat.

Andy.

Del640

SMF Supporter
First Name
Del
As Dave says, I use a cutting mat but effectively 'score' the shape initially then just go over that until clean through.