making uniforms

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
To all the figure sculptors out there, I want to try and represent a jacket that is hanging over a wall. Any pointers on how to achieve this will be welcome.

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Hi Scottie - Duro

I have used Duro to clothe shaved down figures by cutting out shapes in the same way as a dressmaker would

Roll it out wafer thin then smear with Vaseline to cut down the stickiness

Leave it for a while to start to cure

While it is doing that measure up a figure and work out the dimensions for the jacket and sleeves

Then, like a dressmaker mark out the basic shapes, flattened out as if you were making it for real out of cloth.

So main jacket shape flattened out without sleeves and each sleeve wide enough that they would wrap around a scale arm

Once you have the basic shapes cut out wrap the sleeves around something and join the edges, fold the jacket, then add the sleeves

Drape the whole thing over your wall and it will naturally drape - push in additional creases as required

Once set you can then do the detailing - pockets, collar etc

First Name
Wouter
Hi Paul. I suggest you try to watch some sculpting videos on youtube. Not per se on clothing hanging over a wall, but it might help you understand how to sculpt those details. Bill Horan, Radek Pituch, Tom Hugues and Roger Hurkmans come to mind and have very interesting features there. Helped me a lot.

Cheers

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Scottie - Duro

I have used Duro to clothe shaved down figures by cutting out shapes in the same way as a dressmaker would

Roll it out wafer thin then smear with Vaseline to cut down the stickiness

Leave it for a while to start to cure

While it is doing that measure up a figure and work out the dimensions for the jacket and sleeves

Then, like a dressmaker mark out the basic shapes, flattened out as if you were making it for real out of cloth.

So main jacket shape flattened out without sleeves and each sleeve wide enough that they would wrap around a scale arm

Once you have the basic shapes cut out wrap the sleeves around something and join the edges, fold the jacket, then add the sleeves

Drape the whole thing over your wall and it will naturally drape - push in additional creases as required

Once set you can then do the detailing - pockets, collar etc
Cheers Simon, that was the way I was thinking good tip about the vasaline I normally use talc but that sounds better. Thanks very much for the pointers.
Hi Paul. I suggest you try to watch some sculpting videos on youtube. Not per se on clothing hanging over a wall, but it might help you understand how to sculpt those details. Bill Horan, Radek Pituch, Tom Hugues and Roger Hurkmans come to mind and have very interesting features there. Helped me a lot.

Cheers
Wouter, Thanks mate I will have a look. I did look up modelling uniforms but all showed, on the body.

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Hi)aul

i would use a Duro/Magicsculpt mix (50/50) although either on their own would be fine. The most important adviceI can give is to take photos of a jacket on a wall for reference, thereis nothing like working from real life.

Peter

Reactions: JR

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi)aul

i would use a Duro/Magicsculpt mix (50/50) although either on their own would be fine. The most important adviceI can give is to take photos of a jacket on a wall for reference, thereis nothing like working from real life.

Peter
Peter that is a great idea thanks.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Paul.
I can't offer any help what so ever, still have the thought of Simon with his Duro rolled out on the table , scissors in hand, needle and thread gripped in his mouth with a small oil lamp in the corner. :flushed::surprised:

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Couple of extra points if using Duro on its own....

Before mixing Duro I cut off half mm of the yellow edge from the bit you will be using and the same from down the middle where the blue and green meet - this minimises the chance of getting lumps in your mix.

The yellow edge dries out slightly and the interface between the two colours starts to harden because you have the two components touching. It doesn’t appear to affect the blue.

If you don’t do this and flatten it out there is a good chance you will find hard lumps that do not mix in

The amount of lumpiness is probably related to the age of the pack of Duro but even if a pack is new to you it could have been sat on a suppliers shelf for some time

Mix as normal then apply a smear of p.jelly to the blob - really doesn’t need much at all, just touch your finger to the p.jelly and it will be enough, no need to spread it on like butter!

I use a polished granite coaster to roll out the putty on but glass or ceramic tile works as well - gives a lovely smooth surface

The P.jelly also allows you to burnish the finished surface, before it sets, with a finger tip - light pressure lets you get a really smooth surface

If you want texture lightly dab the finished article with a bit of tee shirt or similar, being careful not to squish your masterpiece of course

You can CA bits together if needed then shape them before they set

Clean off Vaseline (petroleum jelly - I got a tub of generic stuff from wilkos for £1 that will last years) with lighter fluid before painting

If you go for actual sculpting from a blob of putty then Peter’s your man
My sculpting leaves a bit to be desired so I decided to go with Shrinking down the full size process

Almost John, actually a small stone coaster, rather than a table, balanced on my knee :smiling5:

Last edited:

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
I have always wanted to include uniforms on my builds and failed miserably. I wish you all the best with your attempt and look forward to seeing the results

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Goodness Paul that looks damned good, how did you do that epaulette ?
Can I order my new suit now ?

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
John.
The epaulette was made from duro. All the insignia are decals from a great set I cant remember whos at the moment.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
John.
The epaulette was made from duro. All the insignia are decals from a great set I cant remember whos at the moment.

Paul you should be pleased with that outcome, no one would think it was your first " tailoring " experience.