Malayan Emergency 1/35 scale.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Just watched 'The African Queen' again and the trees, vines and undergrowth are exactly what I was planning for my jungle dio. Great reference.

Cheers,
Richard

Reactions: JR

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi All, I worked on the tree a bit today and added more vines, hanging stuff and moss. Usually before paint it looks like it went through heavy winds catching all the debri on the branches.

E125.jpg

Soaked the vines with white glue applied with a brush. The thin vines were made from a spool of thread the cats had a great time with. Fibres were all gone so it was perfect, the only problem was straightening them. The branches were coiled with parasitic roots...very common in dense jungle.

E126.jpg

The base of the tree looking much better with the moss on. At the fork of the branch I will be adding a parasite plant palm and some creepers with large leaves.

E127.jpg

Once I can get these vines straightened I will add some sporadic leaves that twine on these.

E128.jpg

It needs more foliage and creepers. Once I'm satisfied with the look I will spray with a very dark brown as a primer then work in the individual colours.

Cheers,
Richard

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Richard
This is a huge amount of work but the results justify all that effort and time. Coming on a treat.
Jim

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Richard,
Just had a good catch up. Some great work going on here with some excellent details being added.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hey thanks guys Jim, Greg and Paul,

I haven't done wire framing for trees before and always depended on the roots that I have collected so its still a learning curve. The wire frame came about because I needed a higher canopy over the overhanging branch...I'm going to have the monkey's perch there. The added canopy will become the fourth level of the composition. I need the jungle to be overpowering but leaving enough room for the guys in the truck to be noticed. We'll see how it plays out.

Cheers,
Richard

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Coming on nicely Richard. Missed the post about the bamboo. That's a great little technique!!

ATB.

Andrew

JayCee

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Excellent work, as always, Richard. This will be superb when completed.
John.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Be interesting to see how you fare with the wire trees Richard. I tried liquid latex done in layers for the trunk and covering of the branches.Takes too long compared to a filler.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Andrew, not mine but interesting technic, Paul, John and John R, yup the putty is actually easier and can be sculpted. Glad you guys are following even at this slow pace.

Very slow going I'm afraid but here's the other wire branch being made up...

E132.jpg

This will prop up the canopy on the opposite side of the stream. It will be attached to the end of the main overhanging branch.

Cheers,
Richard

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Nice progress Richard. I’ve just had a catch up and am really impressed with the Bamboo especially. Wire wrapped trees will be good as well……

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Richard
Wire branches are looking good. Is it copper wire? Easy to bend but stays in place :thumb2: interesting to see what you do next.
Jim

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Nice progress Richard. I’ve just had a catch up and am really impressed with the Bamboo especially. Wire wrapped trees will be good as well……
Thanks Tim, like me I was also impressed with the bamboo outcome. TBH every step of a dio build is loaded with pressure to succeed...there's always the failures and only one final outcome.

Hi Richard
Wire branches are looking good. Is it copper wire? Easy to bend but stays in place :thumb2: interesting to see what you do next.
Jim
Thanks, it's not copper Jim just normal stainless steel I think. Easy to bend as its thin. Fingers crossed.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Guys, I've finally planned how to cast my three Mk5 Enfields after successfully casting the Type92 Jap Heavy Mg. Here's the initial phase of the channeling vents... the barrel for the last one is a little bit wonky.

E149.jpg

After friend mentioned that bubbles may form at the barrel tips and sight, I added more channels and a well to hopefully help form the sight.

E150.jpg

It's in storage now waiting for the next process. Will experiment without the aid of plasticine to see if it works. The guns are light enough to float on the RTV I think.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Guys, there was a near disaster when I went too fast with the second pouring of the mould. I should have waited a little longer for the first half of the mould to cure properly or used mould release agent so there was a bit of tearing apart the two halves. What it did was make was undulating cuts that the two halves could fit like a glove I hope. Anyway here's fingers and toes crossed that it works.

E151.jpg

All the effort to add the key holes had gone to waste but hope with the tears there won't be any tears...oh the English language.

E152.jpg

Will keep you informed of the outcome good or bad.

Cheers,
Richard

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Richard
Looks fine. I'm sure it will work. I hope you remembered to put a thin film of white glue in the trigger area :thinking:
Jim

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Richard
Looks fine. I'm sure it will work. I hope you remembered to put a thin film of white glue in the trigger area :thinking:
Jim
Hi Jim, thanks for the confidence. Thin film not needed for this as the mould halves dissect half of the rifle but it complicates in the alignment which would create a step so I'm hoping that doesn't happen.

So far it's better than expected and certain areas need to be thought off before the next casting. I removed the casting just before full curing so the fine parts aren't brittle to snap off. The fibres at the joint will easily be brushed off when hardened. The barrels are disappointing but correctable. The channel from the bottom of the barrel may need to be blocked as it makes an easy bi-pass and that's why the flash suppressor suffers from inadequate resin flow. I will try brushing in some resin in the next casting before closing the mould halves and before deciding to close the offending channel.
This is how they look...out of the three one is good but the other two have barrel and sight problems.

E153.jpg

I will let it set before cleaning up and repairing the barrels.

Cheers,
Richard