Malayan Emergency 1/35 scale.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Back to them monkeys...I spent a while today and added more body to some of the armatures and sculpted four more heads. I figured at this point casting the heads wasn't necessary as they weren't that hard to sculpt and I don't see myself with needing monkeys for another dio.
Here's today's progress...
20220502_020606.jpg
I can see why sculpting with oven baked putty can be faster 'cos waiting for the putty to cure takes time as opposed to just popping the sculpt into the oven and then continuing after that. Next time I might try that process.

Cheers,
Richard

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Looking good mate, it is something I have never tried I will have to give it a go one day.

Niho

SMF Supporter
First Name
Nick
Hi, I'm currently re-hashing a dio I have left idle for years and it's about a jungle police truck stopping at a bridge to check a suspicious clump of branches sticking out from the road ahead of the bridge suspecting an ambush.
This scene is in the late 40's early 50's during the First Malayan Emergency between the British Colonials and the Communist Terrorists.
The weapons of the time were a mix of pre and post WW2 material such as the Bren, Stens, Webley's and the newer Sterling and Jungle Enfields. I have almost all the weapons except the Jungle Enfield or carbine in kit form. So I will make them so I'll start with it...

I've had some experience in scratching weapons by utilising parts from existing guns. It ought to look like these examples below. Basically a shortened version of the Mk.4 Enfield...

View attachment 428019

Searched in my stash for Mk.4's and found these three I had painted and mothballed.

View attachment 428020

Soon I stretched som sprue to the right gauge and sliced equal lengths and cone shaped three from larger rods. I sliced the enfield and scraped a portion of the wooden grip. and glued the parts together.

View attachment 428021

I managed one with the barrel sight guards needing a little trimming. Have also shortened the butt and rounded the edges. Another two more to go...

View attachment 428022

Next 45 mins and another is done. Stopping now for dinner and resting my eyes.

View attachment 428023

I hope to take some shots of the dio after I have dusted it.

Cheers,
Richard

Some very good chopperizing and rebuilding here, not easy, lots of lining up, .... beautiful job Richard....
Carry on

Nick

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
It's one thing to sculpt up a monkey but a half a dozen primates at once is mind boggling! Tip 'O the Hat to you Richard!

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Looking good mate, it is something I have never tried I will have to give it a go one day.
And you'll do well just like the bling work Scottie.
Some very good chopperizing and rebuilding here, not easy, lots of lining up, .... beautiful job Richard....
Carry on

Nick
Thanks Nick, rescusitating the old bridge required paddles and high amps. :smiling2:
It's one thing to sculpt up a monkey but a half a dozen primates at once is mind boggling! Tip 'O the Hat to you Richard!
Thanks. The good thing is I don't have to sculpt clothes. :smiling6:

But I do have to do feet and in this case hands as these guys have hands for feet...
20220502_233937.jpg
Six pairs for the moment. I also did another four head armatures with open mouths.
20220503_000530.jpg

Cheers,
Richard

Last edited:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Last night we ordered some pizza at the LHS and it was taking awhile to be delivered so I decided to tinker with the four monkey heads and this was the outcome of the hour long wait.
20220515_112632.jpg
The far right one is looking like a Ferringi from Star Trek...got to get his ears rounder in shape.
20220515_112642.jpg
I've got teeth on this guy. All of them need sharp noses as Macaques do...I'll putty that in later while these cure.

Cheers,
Richard

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looking suitably simian Richard. Nice work. With all those open mouths you are going to need teeth though LOL…..

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Teeth are the same as ours really…..
7DE2FEE9-1BD8-458A-9631-86526ED87A2D.jpeg
Except the canines are much larger…..

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Teeth are the same as ours really…..
View attachment 453527
Except the canines are much larger…..
Yup, the canines are much longer. Most times you won't see their set if teeth but just the tips if the canines protruding under the lip until they bear their gums then you see the full set of teeth.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi, fell asleep at the LHS but when I woke up instead of working on the ships I brought to do the PE railings I worked on the monkey heads.
Basically reshaped the mouth to be smaller with added nose and eyelids.
20220521_195751.jpg
There are eleven here and will add the twelfth to make it 12 monkeys. There was a movie with this title and wonder what it means.
Am working on the tail with brass wire.

Cheers,
Richard

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Hi, fell asleep at the LHS but when I woke up instead of working on the ships I brought to do the PE railings I worked on the monkey heads.
Basically reshaped the mouth to be smaller with added nose and eyelids.
View attachment 453850
There are eleven here and will add the twelfth to make it 12 monkeys. There was a movie with this title and wonder what it means.
Am working on the tail with brass wire.

Cheers,
Richard
Twelve Monkeys refers to(I think) an existential saying that if you gave twelve monkeys with typewriters an infinite amount of time, eventually they would produce the complete works of Shakespeare..... I think it was a Terry Gilliam film, but I've never seen it
HTH
N

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Nice looking herd of heads there Richard.......they all remind me of the proverbial "Sock Monkey"