Malayan Emergency 1/35 scale.

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Just had a massive catch up here.
Loving how the pour came out - wasn't brave enough to try that option on my first one.
Fantastic work (as always) - the picture of the passion flower reminded me of a garden that I maintained (sadly the lady passed away just before the pandemic) even had a couple of fruit on the plant!

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Just had a massive catch up here.
Loving how the pour came out - wasn't brave enough to try that option on my first one.
Fantastic work (as always) - the picture of the passion flower reminded me of a garden that I maintained (sadly the lady passed away just before the pandemic) even had a couple of fruit on the plant!
Thanks Gerry, it's easy once you've plugged any possibilities of a spill or seepage the resin will do the rest. Just wait for the bubbles to rise to the surface and you burst them with a lighter or incense stick.
Can't tell who passed away, the plant or the good wife, either way I'm sorry to hear about it. :disappointed:
How is your son getting on and are you ready for the next dio build?

Cheers,
Richard

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Thanks Gerry, it's easy once you've plugged any possibilities of a spill or seepage the resin will do the rest. Just wait for the bubbles to rise to the surface and you burst them with a lighter or incense stick.
Can't tell who passed away, the plant or the good wife, either way I'm sorry to hear about it. :disappointed:
How is your son getting on and are you ready for the next dio build?

Cheers,
Richard
It was the wife's niece, (who was confined to a wheelchair whose garden it was, I just kept it from being a jungle), the passion flower vine was on a South facing fence.
Son is nearly back to normal, but the stitches let him know when he's done too much!
Still plucking up the courage to start the 'factual' dio, but garden and work are having to take precedence at the moment.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
It was the wife's niece, (who was confined to a wheelchair whose garden it was, I just kept it from being a jungle), the passion flower vine was on a South facing fence.
Son is nearly back to normal, but the stitches let him know when he's done too much!
Still plucking up the courage to start the 'factual' dio, but garden and work are having to take precedence at the moment.
I see, Gerry, do what's needed first then when you're ready with free time then the hobby kicks in.

I had a bit of trouble with the water effects, the mixture of white glue and Making Waves didn't turn out as planned so I removed it. Lucky I hadn't varnished it so it was easy to lift and tear off. Only injury I had was a blister on my index finger from rubbing the layer off the resin.
I left the Making Waves effects on as that looked okay and will use that to sculpt the rest of the ripples with it. Should have taken a pic of the bad effects.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi,
I have just applied the Making Waves acrylic paste with an artist spatula which I just realised I had one and that made it more easier. This is working better as the areas that are starting to cure is really clear and there is not much distortion of the stream contents.

I've got some images while the paste is curing so there still white patches still in the process of curing.

E106.jpg

There is a difference between the right and left bottom of the stream. The one on the right was the previous sculpt over white glue and is slightly cloudy.

E107.jpg

I built up more water turbulence around the waterfall bottoms and will paint in the white caps and also add white gesso to the falls.

E108.jpg

I think it's coming along better this time. Lots of patient sculpting as the paste was too thick for blowing, besides that effect would work for smaller scaled ripples.

E109.jpg

Will take more shots when cured fully. Also the base of the waterfalls still needs more build up.

Cheers,
Richard

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Coming on a treat Richard. Shame you had problems earlier. Once cured and clear I'm sure the white will really finish it off. It already looks very good.
Jim

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Coming on a treat Richard. Shame you had problems earlier. Once cured and clear I'm sure the white will really finish it off. It already looks very good.
Jim
Thanks Jim, the fix was easier than I thought. Looks like I will be making more water scenes after this.

Here are shots taken shortly after the first showing the paste clearing even more...

E110.jpgE111.jpg

Cheers,
Richard

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
That's coming on very nicely indeed.

Very well done.

Andrew

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Funny how I find fire and water in modelling interesting :smiling3:
You don't disappoint Richard, the last photos. Show real movement.
The idea of using the packaging for the water poring over the rocks1631078992244.png

Is perfect .That for me along with the vegetation in the water detailing the movement is perfection. Well done.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Your clever water fall idea has worked well.
Jim
Thanks Jim, I'm glad too that it worked being a first experiment.

That's coming on very nicely indeed.

Very well done.

Andrew
Thanks Andrew, hope the rest goes nicely as well.

Funny how I find fire and water in modelling interesting :smiling3:
You don't disappoint Richard, the last photos. Show real movement.
The idea of using the packaging for the water poring over the rocksView attachment 433136

Is perfect .That for me along with the vegetation in the water detailing the movement is perfection. Well done.
Thanks John, the dry bed was a bit of a worry at the beginning. Even planning can get a bit shaky as assumptions can always backfire.

Thanks for commenting guys. At the mo repairing the bridge as a cats foot just plowed through the planks.

Cheers,
Richard

Last edited:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Very interesting so far Richard. Looking forward to the next bit of progress. Rick H. :thumb2:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Very interesting so far Richard. Looking forward to the next bit of progress. Rick H. :thumb2:
Thanks Rick, in a bit you'll see a bit. :smiling2:

Some great effects there, and the ideas behind them, certainly makes good reading!
Thanks Gerry, glad you had a good read.

Little progress but quite a lot for me as I had to go boldly where I've not been before and that is painting the whitecaps...literally trying to make it look natural. Anyway it still needs staining around the falls and gloss varnish to soften the effects...

E112.jpg

The effects of the gesso and white acrylic paints were stippled in... now there is movement.

E113.jpg

If I had known it was this see through I would have added fish.

E114.jpg

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi, it's been a while since I touched on this dio. Nothing has changed except for repairing the bridge and searching for my stash of dried plants. I swore I had a 2'x2'x1' carton box that I lumped everything in.

Found it and what a treasure trove. Didn't realise I had accumulated so much of it including some plastic plants from a flower accessory shop. The last time I opened this box was for my R&R dio. I picked out some relevant pieces here...

E115.jpg

...and will spray them with an undercoat of black. Tropical lighting is very harsh and contrasting so any areas under the shade will look black. The plastic plants are ideal for undergrowth and tall grasses.
Crafting the jungle will take a while...just like resin pouring. :smiling2:

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Having done the water and more detailing to be added later, I have cling wrapped it to work on the jungle. Funny thing is whenever I think of the word jungle CCR's Run Through The Jungle keeps playing in my head.

The cover was necessary because I will be using a lot of can spraying which covers a lot of ground, then I detail with the airbrush and finally hand paint the highlights.

E116.jpgE117.jpg

Okay the next few pictures will look pretty odd but it's the start of the main tree trunk that overhangs the stream. Now it's looking like a hang man's tree but there's lots more to add on with more vines, moss, branches, leaves, parasitic plants and roots.

E118.jpg

This is just one vine. There will be plenty more...

E119.jpg

The roots are being attached...the ends will be covered later.

E120.jpg

This part of the process always looks like a mess and heading nowhere but the picture will soon form. I hate this part of the process where I always have to think ahead and paint a picture in my mind and everything is new and experimented like that added branch below. The trunk is not stuck on yet to be removed for detailing.

E121.jpg

Already placing a sponge moss on the slope looks promising but no pics of it yet. If it gets boring, come back a few pages later to see if I got it right.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Richard,
Your eye for detail and your skill in turning it into reality is superb.
Thanks Paul, keeping my fingers crossed as anything might happen or go wrong when experimenting.

Cheers,
Richard

Graeme C.

SMF Supporter
First Name
Graeme
Interesting to see how you're doing the jungle Richard, keep up the good work.