Manhattan model

K

KarlSab

I have a 9 ft x 6 ft model of mid-Manhattan in softwood, coloured realistically, with cabs in the streets. It was built by my late uncle over 20 years and is really a piece of folk art, since it recreates no specific period, as Manhattan changed while he was making it. It is stored in 40 boxes and will be destroyed in January 2019 unless I can find someone to take it. Any takers?Guardian spread NY model.jpg

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
That seems very much a great shame to just throw away, but unfortunately I don’t have the room for it, else I’d give you my address to send it to :smiling3:

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Have you tried local historical society or society of engineers, engineering or city planning schools? PaulE

K

KarlSab

there must be a museum in NY that would be interested
Unfortunately there is already a model of Manhattan in a New York museum. I have also tried other museums in NY and Washington.

R

Ranwulf

Coworker looking over my shoulder commented "how cool it would look on a wall" Just curious, the distance from the bottom of the base to the top of the tallest building. (World Trade Center?)

K

KarlSab

The model is in the UK so I suspect that if you are in Canada the logistics of getting it to you would be too difficult. The model deals only with Manhattan between 14th and 57th St so doesn't include the WTC. The tallest is the Empire State Building which is about 12 inches. I have had it on a wall myself, in a former office and it looked very good. More recently it has been on a slanting metal stand which still exists and is very good too.

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
aaah......assumed you were in the States......didnt realise you were in the UK!

B

Brad9826

Would be such a shame to lose it, hope you can find somewhere for it to be rehomed..