Maquette 1/35 T-34 Model 1940 Shelf Queen Finished

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I am finished with this..................
This has been sitting unfinished for a long time, and I found out why!
DSCF3102.JPGDSCF3103.JPGDSCF3104.JPGDSCF3105.JPGDSCF3106.JPGDSCF3107.JPGDSCF3108.JPG

The Model is an original Maquette tooling, dating from 1998, and in 2002, they decided to add new parts to allow the first production T-34 to be made. This involved new wheels, new tracks, new turret & new front & back fenders. To fit the fenders, you had to perform surgery on the upper hull.................
The turret was ill fitting & needed a lot of filler - the instructions are very vague about where to cut for the new fenders. When I started this originally, I must have made a hash of the cutting, so it went back into the box. Fast forward a decade - and having forgotten about the problems, I picked it up again after finishing my ICM T-34/76.
Judging by the original parts from this....................
maquette orig.jpg
which will probably be quite a nice model. For this model, the replacement tracks & wheels are OK. The turret & fenders etc - not good! - indifferent tooling, short run mouldings & abysmal fit, obviously not the same toolmakers as the original model. I came close to landfill consignment, but finished it anyway.
I couldn't recommend this particular model at all - the originals may be OK, but with a large number of good T-34 models around ( ICM & Zvezda - if I can put them in the same brackets! ), it's more of a hangover from the past.
If you have a liking for models that aren't common, you have to expect a few ( !! ) dogs, and this is one of them.
I'll have to go and sit in a darkened room & reflect that some models have become shelf queens for a reason!
Thanks for looking in!
Dave

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Looks ok from my perspective Dave but I see what you mean with the about the fenders.....

Well done for getting it finished.

ATB

Andrew

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Looks ok from my perspective Dave but I see what you mean with the about the fenders.....

Well done for getting it finished.

ATB

Andrew
One of them just wouldn't sit right! I just swore, bit my lip & carried on - I shouldn't have bothered really............ not one of my finer efforts!
Dave

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Well done on making a silk purse here, certainly looks great!

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Dave
I don't think Marquette have a good reputation really. Well done finishing it although with the problems you encountered it was never going to be up there with your most satisfying build.
Jim

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Can understand the problems there Dave,
I have to agree with the guys though.... From the pics it looks like you've made a good job of it :smiling3:
Andy
(BTW, having a "Darkened room" to go and contemplate models in?.... That's a PROPER modeller that is!! ;) )