Market Garden Chat

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Just to get things moving, chat about the Market Garden SSIG can (read should) be put in here :smiling3:

Questions, ideas, photos, suggestions---

Bring it!

Ian M

First Name
Richard
:D :D

Okay so what dimension are we talking about here??

:oops: sorry overseen that part well.

I for myself don’t know the dimensions yet but it will be definitely in 1/35 scale

Cheers Richi

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
No you didnt Richi. You build it as big as the wife/girlfriend will let you. :/

We are always quite free with things like that. Any restrictions would have been brought up.

What I have in mind could easily fill a table... o.O

Ian M

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Well mine would fill a garden Ian :smiling3: :smiling3:
Which would be quite appropriate, given the subject!

Cheers

Steve

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I have a Trumpeter Stug III G that I am considering for the Market Garden SIG; my question is - would it be a suitable mark of tank for this battle?

First Name
Richard
#Adrian Yes they did

#Rick

StuG III Ausf G said to have been present at Arnhem during Operation Market Garden. This StuG features the Soukopf (Sow's Head) version of the gun mantlet.

View attachment 70685

Richi

StuG_III_Ausf_G_3.jpg

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
\ said:
Simple question, sorry in advance for my ignorance but did they use Horsa gliders ?Adrian
Yes. Most of the Airlanding units arrived in this way. There is a preserved/replica of one at Pegasus Bridge museum as well has cockpit sections at the Museum of Army Flying and at The Airborne Forces Museum when it was at Aldershot.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
\ said:
#Adrian Yes they did#Rick

StuG III Ausf G said to have been present at Arnhem during Operation Market Garden. This StuG features the Soukopf (Sow's Head) version of the gun mantlet.

View attachment 69878

Richi
I don't think mine has that style of mantlet. Maybe a lot of foliage will hide it!!

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
\ said:
I don't think mine has that style of mantlet. Maybe a lot of foliage will hide it!!
All is not lost. I have found an HO gauge Stug III G with the saukopf mantlet, it's a bit pricey though.

http://www.artitec.nl/index.php/en/kits/item/kits-h0-stug-iii-ausf-g-saukopf?category_id=123

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Ian

I'm quite interested in this SSIG. I have so many interesting kits that would be suitable for this subject matter it would actually be quite hard to choose!

A lot of my armour subjects I actually collected with this operation in mind, so it will be easy to cherry-pick models to suit straight from my shelves. In fact I have so many that I may opt for a series of models that tell a story (or at least outline the battle) everything from parachute drops, XXX corp rumbling down 'hells highway', the Stugs of Sturmgeschütz Brigade 280 (pictured above).

As it happens, I already have a completed 'Arnhem Stug' - that of Major Kürt Kühme I'm attaching a couple of pics to give the jistView attachment 70760

View attachment 70761

View attachment 70762

View attachment 70763

View attachment 70764

Anyway, I think I will be joining this SSIG. With a whole year to work in I should be able to complete something!!!!

Stug III 07.jpg

Stug III 09.jpg

Stug III 15.jpg

Stug III 21.jpg

Stug III 23.jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I know times are hard, but I was actually hoping that people would build a model for this/these and not Re-use existing kits. It has never been really allowed in the group builds or the SIG's.

I don't want to be an ass, so I will ask what the general consensus is. Remember this is a SUPER SIG with 12 months.

QUESTION: if you some one is planing a huge dio with loads of tanks and other vehicles, should they be allowed to use already build (By them) kits. or should all the kits be new builds for the project at hand. Remember we are only talking about diorama builds. If you want to do a single piece, I think it pretty obvious that the kit is a new build!

Ian M

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Sorry Ian if you got the impression I'd be using the Stug in my build. I included it because it was on topic that's all. My build for the SSIG will be from scratch

Cheers P

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
My view is that new models should be used. I have a build model of a semi destroyed house that could quite easily be used in a dio for this build but I won't be using it for that.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
Sorry Ian if you got the impression I'd be using the Stug in my build. I included it because it was on topic that's all. My build for the SSIG will be from scratchCheers P
Them it is me that should apologise Paul. But still a point worth raising as I am well aware that a big dio with five or six kits in 1/35 would end up costing a bob or two..

Personally I agree that all items in a SIG or GB should be new. I however do bend the rule at times (Gerns Space bug for example is pretty much unbuilt so that was OK in my mind).

Ian M

C

CDW

\ said:
am well aware that a big dio with five or six kits in 1/35 would end up costing a bob or two..
One truck, two Jeeps and three sets of figures for the mash dio cost just over 50 quid, I consider that a fair bit myself but then again some of you spend hundreds on a single kit with all the pe and add-ons ...... Its all relative at the end of the day :smiling3: :smiling3:

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I totally agree new kits should be used as half the fun is watching the build. Not a 'Blue Peter' style, here's one I prepared earlier'. On forums you tend to get a lot of builds that have obviously been done in the past and (whilst being good quality) tend to be clinical in their approach and motor along at a gallop, obviously because all the graft had been done previously. The thing I like about group builds is the unexpected things that crop up - success, failures, good, bad even funny. To me this is far more engaging than someone trying to emulate a magazine build.

But that's just me