Mark's Revell 1:35 SPz Marder 1A3 IFV (AAGB)

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
You can edit your post to un-correct it :smiling3:

In my memory (like I said, I built these a long time ago, probably about twenty years), the Tamiya kit is decidedly inferior to the Revell one in most respects. It is a Tamiya model, so it goes together very well, but the Revell one has better detail even if the model feels a bit … well, flimsier is I suppose the best word.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
By the way, a head-up you may want to be aware of: if Revell haven’t changed the plastic they use for the tracks since I built mine ages ago, you’ll want to be careful where you put the model. I just picked up my model, and it stuck to the shelf it’s on. Not entirely unexpected, so probably just the paint, I thought. After handling the model, I noticed my fingers were oily — turns out the whole bottom run of the tracks, where it contacts the shelf, is thoroughly wet from oily residue leaking out of the material.

I don’t think the model had this problem when it stood on a glass shelf for almost twenty years, but it’s been on a plastic-covered chipboard shelf for under a year now, and it’s suddenly doing this.

wasdale32

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Jakko,
I know what you mean - the tracks are a particularly soft and shiny vinyl which sheds paint at the slightest touch. I usually try to mount my vehicles on a base (even if it is not much bigger than the vehicle) to cut down on handling. I’ve seen the dissolving tracks issue with older airfix 1:76 / 1:72 scale kits including Shermans where the tracks turned into a sticky pulp.
Mark

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I’ve seen the dissolving tracks issue with older airfix 1:76 / 1:72 scale kits including Shermans where the tracks turned into a sticky pulp.
These tracks are quite firm, but look like I stood the model in a shallow puddle of oil. With a bit of luck they’ll hold up, but I’m not convinced they won’t fall into pieces in a few years’ time.