Martian War machine

S

seasprite

My next kit to build, and 1st build log is the Martian War Machine from the original War of the Worlds.

It doesn't look a difficult kit to put together and since theres only 17 parts and would just take about 10 minutes to assemble.

Theres virtually no flash and a dry run of the parts show an almost perfect fit for every part. I decided when i opened the box that since the green lenses where transparent, and there was loads of space inside the main fuselage i'd fit some sort of lighting kit. searching the net showed 1 kit at a cost of over $60 so that was out, i'm not paying that much!

I did get a couple of LED headlights from the local £1 shop, each has 7 very bright white LEDS

So for £2, a spare 3mm red LED and some spare wire i shall attempt to iluminate the machine. The drawback being to these model budget cuts is the raygun won't flash. However i will wire it seperate so maybe it can be flashing sometime in the future.

Michael.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
No no no no lol. There is only one correct design for the WotW martian.... oooooooooooooooooooooooooo la!!! lol :smiling3:

M

mobear

i first heard this when i was young and thought they were shouting at me,so my grandad made the nilfisk hoover look like one and chased round his house,so with wide scared looking eyes i may just watch this being built,yours is from the old colour film which was great.OOOOOOOLLLLLLLAAAAAAAA lol

mobear

C

CDW

I still get a tear in my eye when Thunderchild gets it Allyne :smiling3: :smiling3:

I've seen loads done with scratch building and some resin stuff over the years ..... but i think it's all been sussed with this simple model, the best thing is you can put it into a small diorama quite simply because it's 1/48 and there's loads of stuff available in this scale to help in building.

looking forward to see what you do with this :smiling3:

D

dubster72

This looks to be a very interesting idea Michael, I'll watch this one with interest. The original film is a classic & a favorite of mine.

The less said about the remake, the better!

Cheers

Patrick

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Very nice idea Michael. I like the budget approach too it's great to see what can be made of cheaper regular items.

I'm interested too to see what you'll make of this.

All the best with the build.

Paul

BTW, I spent many a holiday in sunny (or often not so) sunny Brid as a child. I have fond memories of the place.

S

seasprite

Started the ray gun stalk. Had to cut the locating pins, and sockets out of the neck stalk and locating tabs on both peices of the head piece to acomodate the wiring. Lined both halfs of the head peice with just plain old foil, and tacked the 3mm LED inside and assembled it all up.

Its alive!!... got ahead myself, probably should have left the lense of until after its painted..oh well.

Last edited:
M

mobear

i`m more than inpressed ruddy good start

mobear

ps masking tape will help lol

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Great start michael, top work on the lighting. This film used to scare the crap out of me when i was a kid, but i still love it! What with InFlames' YB49, its a bit of a war of the worlds flavour lately! cheers tony

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Cracking start on the "ray gun" I saw one of these kits in a recent model show and talked myself out of it, Fool,Fool, Fool !!!

I'll enjoy watching this come together.

Tony.

S

seasprite

Thanks for the comments, i'm looking forward to seeing what i can do with it too!

Next job was to get the LED lighting wired up and working.

K

Karr1981

this has to be my number one favourite model, yet is one i havent built yet (i guess afraid i wont do it justice)