Masking Fluid.

• Thread starter Deleted member 5496
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 5496

The little Islander I am building does not come with & no one produces paper masks.

Have to use masking fluid. It is for 1/72 with lots of curves so impossible, for me, to mask up with tape.

I have Mr Hobby Masking Sol.

How do you apply this stuff. Mr Hobby comes with a large brush which I do believe is going to be difficult to be accurate in applying. Have one or two ideas but yours I would be grateful to hear.

Laurie

D

Deleted member 7181

They do a couple with very similar names. I have the Sol R, which I apply with a fine paintbrush. Once dry it can be cut right into an edge if you've gone a bit over, and peel the excess off.

The Sol Neo is different. From what I've heard it cannot be cut, but I've never used it myself.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
I have had some success by putting a blob of masking fluid in the centre of the window and then pushing it up to the edges with a pointy cocktail stick.

D

Deleted member 5496

Use a thin tape to mask the edges of the area and then fill in the middle with the masking solution, saves having to be accurate with the fluid
Yes in most cases Dave that would be the best. First time I have resorted to Masking Fluid in any than a tiddly bit. However the screen is so small & there are hardly any straight pieces. Even with a microscope it would be difficult physically to get masking tape around these curves.Thanks for your reply

I have had some success by putting a blob of masking fluid in the centre of the window and then pushing it up to the edges with a pointy cocktail stick.
Thanks Jim. Did that as they say the proof of the pudding I will see how well I have (or not) done.

Laurie

D

Deleted member 5496

Just found out that Mr Hobby Masking Sol R, which I am using, is water based.

Excellent so brushes can be washed. Dumbo here did not know that. Seems the Neo type is ammonia & does not wash out.

Laurie