Masking Fuselage Bands

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Has anyone got some tips on masking fuselage bands. I've already sprayed the area in white but now need to mask it off so I can spray the camo and underside . Obviously the cross section of the fuselage is not a perfect cylinder in cross section as is the case on the stuka I'm building. Not only does it taper but also the tail fin needs to be taken in to account. I've already tried to use very thin strips of tamiya tape but I seem to be struggling to get parallel lines.

Vaughan

View attachment 44832

IMG_0024.jpg

T

tecdes

\ said:
Has anyone got some tips on masking fuselage bands. I've already sprayed the area in white but now need to mask it off so I can spray the camo and underside . Obviously the cross section of the fuselage is not a perfect cylinder in cross section as is the case on the stuka I'm building. Not only does it taper but also the tail fin needs to be taken in to account. I've already tried to use very thin strips of tamiya tape but I seem to be struggling to get parallel lines.Vaughan
Straight lines going around a corner in 3d Vaughan.

The only way I have managed this is by stretching the tape to near breaking then you can do most things with it ----- until the tape snaps---- start again.

Do not find Tamiya the greatest.

Been using Jammydog Micro Masking Tape recently. They do it in a multitude of thickensses down to .5 of a mm. It has great adhesion. Good stretch both in length & also moulding around difficult objects. Perfect release. Plus gives a perfect paint line without any creep. Nice thing is you just snip a bit off the roll. Find it superior to Tamiya.

John they also have a retailer service.

Vaughan also had success with the blue vinyl tape they use on cars for lining providing the path is not to acute.

Laurie

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I use the Jammy tape too in the very thin type - very good. I also use Tammy tape elsewhere.

G

Gomer Pyle

I take a length of regular tamiya and adhere it to the cutting-mat (Make sure the mat is clean and dry). Then I use an alu-ruller and a standart No.11 blade to cut 1mm thin ribbons of the tape, down the length of it (or even thinner depending on how sharp the 2D curves are). I use these trimmed lengths of tape to lay down the demarcation-lines and then similar tape-cuts of increasing widths adjacent to the first masks, sometimes I also supplement with liquid mask.

/Daniel

S

Sky Raider

Hi Vaughan,

I know exactly what you are talking about when it come to marking perfect parallel lines on a model. I concocted my own device to over come such a problem. This device will draw lines perfectly around any contour and is simple and easy to make. Now, take into consideration the size of the models i build i wouldn't expect you to make one the exact same size but you could make a smaller version quite cheaply.

Here are the pics of it and the results it gives you. Simply hold the base firmly on a flat surface, stand your model on its nose and slowly and gently move the line drawer around the model. The screw lets you lock it in place at the desired height.

View attachment 41265View attachment 41266View attachment 41267View attachment 41268View attachment 41269View attachment 41270View attachment 41271

Cheers

Andy

View attachment 44893

View attachment 44894

View attachment 44895

View attachment 44896

View attachment 44897

View attachment 44898

View attachment 44899

Line drawer.jpg

Line Drawer1.jpg

Line Drawer 2.jpg

Line Drawer 3.jpg

Line Drawer 4.jpg

Hatches 3.jpg

Hatches 4.jpg

T

tecdes

\ said:
Hi Vaughan,I know exactly what you are talking about when it come to marking perfect parallel lines on a model. I concocted my own device to over come such a problem. This device will draw lines perfectly around any contour and is simple and easy to make. Now, take into consideration the size of the models i build i wouldn't expect you to make one the exact same size but you could make a smaller version quite cheaply.

Here are the pics of it and the results it gives you. Simply hold the base firmly on a flat surface, stand your model on its nose and slowly and gently move the line drawer around the model. The screw lets you lock it in place at the desired height.

Cheers

Andy
Blimey Andy do you manufacture airliners mate. Very impressive.

Laurie

S

Sky Raider

Ha ha, Thanks Laurie. The P47 you see here is the very first attempt i made at model building believe it or not, you can see the whole thread on here.

Cheers

Andy

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I think that prop is a bit small for that P47 Andy. it must have one hell of a motor in it. lol

Ian M

S

Sky Raider

Well it looked ok when i tried it against the picture on the box Ian. Lol

Andy

A

andygh

I use electrician's insulation tape for masking awkward shapes, it's very stretchy

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Thanks Guys for all your hint and tips.

Andy that's a very interesting way of creating parallel lines.

Vaughan