Masking over decal area

• Thread starter Deleted member 5496
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 5496

Any one with any ideas gratefully received.

Have a problem where I have to fix the decal which then designates where a line starts for a paint detail. Then have to mask over the decal.

My idea is two coats of the Aqua Varnish. But any other ideas & tips will be helpful.

Laurie

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
A possibility perhaps, two coats of varnish to seal the decal, then mask the edge with a damp piece of cartridge paper or similar, lifted quite soon after the paint application. I have never tried it, but can’t see why it wouldn’t work. I think you should trial it first though.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Laurie,
I've avoided this, like the plague! I've usually got round it, by using a tracing of the decal to mark out the paint line starts & finishes, applying the paint, then touching up after applying the decal. If there is no alternative might it be possible to use masking fluid over the decal?
Dave

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I've done it successfully on this little Jet Provost. The large orange area, with the number 24 on was half masked over to paint the black area above.
So, it was a good goat of varnish followed by a couple of days to dry. Then Tamiya masking tape, de-tacked on my forehead - yes, I know.
Once sprayed, just using very light coats of paint, I removed the masking tape as soon as possible. It worked.
24.JPG

D

Deleted member 5496

I've done it successfully on this little Jet Provost. The large orange area, with the number 24 on was half masked over to paint the black area above.
So, it was a good goat of varnish followed by a couple of days to dry. Then Tamiya masking tape, de-tacked on my forehead - yes, I know.
Once sprayed, just using very light coats of paint, I removed the masking tape as soon as possible. It worked.
Nice idea Colin. Darned nice model as well. Superb finishes.

Puzzling where do you get your goat varnish :tears-of-joy:

Laurie

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Goat varnish is very exclusive. Best not to ask.........