Masking PVA

1275GT

Hi all. On the Swordfish I'm doing, I've made the side windows and am going to make the glazing from PVA glue. Due to their position I need to do these now as there's going to be no way to get to them once the various supports are in the way. So my question is - is it ok to mask them with Tamiya tape or masking fluid?

I'm just wondering if there will be any marks left or reaction to the fluid.......or is there some other magic trick that I'm not aware of !!

Cheers, Neil

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi neil, youll have no luck trying to mask the pva windows- whatever you put on will probably pull it off when you try to take the masking off. Ive had a similar situation when ive used pva for windows, what i did was to just paint the model ,letting the pva get covered in paint ,then when all the painting stages are finished, pull it off using tweezers and make a fresh window again with pva, so the original window acts as a mask ,stopping any spray getting inside the model. The new window will then be perfectly clear but the frames will have been painted. hope this makes sense and helps , cheers tony

1275GT

Hi Tony......makes perfect sense, but my particular problem is that the windows I'm doing are the two small ones under the cockpit, which are right behind the fuselage/wing supports and so will be a complete bugger to re-do once painted !!

I've got some 2 part epoxy which I noticed dried pretty clear when I last used it, so I'll experiment with this and see how it looks and responds to masking. Failing that, it's going to have to get fiddley !!

This will teach me to try and be clever......................

Thanks for your help.

Cheers, Neil

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hi Neil paint the plane first without putting the wings on thats how i did mine. then like Tony says redo the windows after sprying/painting then fit the supports and wings then if you need to touch up place a little card over the window then spray/paint Hope you can understand what i mean

1275GT

Hi Ian, I would have done it that way, but I don't know about yours, but the fit on mine is truely awful !! However, I've just experimented with some 2-part epoxy resin and it seems to have come out quite well, the only downside being that there are a few very small air-bubbles in it. I think these can be reduced if I take a bit of care with the mixing. The test peice is solid, clear and not tacky, and dosen't seem to be affected by Tamiya tape...

I'll post pics in my build thread.

Thanks very much for taking the time to help.

Cheers, Neil

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Yes i know what you mean about the fit truely awful and good luck with yours looking foward the the pictures

Ian