masking tape problem

T

tfish

i have a problem with masking tape residue sticking to my paint jobs. i am using good quality modeling paint and modeling masking tape. the military plane i am doing sat after 1st coat for 3 days and the paint actually was stuck to the tape when i pulled it off...........help!

T

treyzx10r

Hey Tfish welcome to the forum. When you say the paint was stuck to the tape do you mean the tape pulled the paint away from the models surface? Also what brand of tape are you using? Sometimes it helps if you 'kill' the tape a bit by running it over your fingers to reduce the tack strength.

First Name
Aaron
Use Tamiya tape bro, Did you primer? and what paint did you use for the topcoat and how many coats?

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've tried all sorts of masking tapes and now use Tamiya. It might cost a bit more than some but it's the one that I have least problems with.

De-tacking it a little,as Trey suggests,is a good idea when masking fragile finishes.

Cheers

Steve

G

Gomer Pyle

Be sure to use model masking tape of good quality, I can recommend the Tamiya tape. As a stop gap, you can try to reduce the tack of the tape you have, by sticking it to you fingers a few times. The problem you have is mostly due the glue sticking more to the subject surface rather than to the paper-strip. Often reducing the adhesive strength of the part of the glue that is in contact with the subject to a lower level than the part that is supposed to stick it to the paper strip, will usually let the tape lift all the glue with it when pulled.

/Daniel

T

tecdes

Need a bit more info tfish what tape are you using ? Also has any adhesive/glue/weld come incontact with the tape ?

Also if paint are you airbrushing or hand painting & type of paint. That would give a better basis to give an answer.

Welcome to the forum tfish. Hope you like it & stay.

Laurie

T

tfish

i was using tamiya tape and i sprayed with testors paint. i went ahead and cleaned it off with alcohol and resprayed. waited 24hrs and clearcoated with future. seams to be ok now. thanks for all your responses. this is only my second model and thanks to the info and knowledge from people like u guys its getting better all the time. thanks for all who post with all the little tricks. i'm certain i still have a ton to learn. thanks again.TFISH