Masking thoughts?

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Can i grab advice ref masking?

On the Daring, i am going to use masking tape to spray the hull grey paint, AND then leave the tape in place.

Next leave the grey paint to dry and then add another strip of tape on the new grey to do the boot topping, hope this makes sense lol

Now a 3 part ???

How long should i leave the Tamiya to dry?
How quickly can you remove the tape?
How long can you leave it on for?

I think if I remove the tape and then later try to place a new run of tape in the same place i will not get it in the right place and risk a lot of hassle

Sorry i must seem a right pain in the ar*e:thinking:;)

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
All I will say Bob is use a thin layer of paint otherwise you will create a ridge of paint by the masking tape if the paint work is too thick. Good luck my friend

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Bob what maskin tape are you usein ? as tamyia is the right tape to use but make sure its all pressed down firmly as if any tiny gaps there will be a run an spoil the whole thing an dont leave on more than has been said or it may go sticky an make a mess
chris

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Bob what maskin tape are you usein ? as tamyia is the right tape to use but make sure its all pressed down firmly as if any tiny gaps there will be a run an spoil the whole thing an dont leave on more than has been said or it may go sticky an make a mess
chris
Tamiya tape, big fan of there products

Been using it on another practice build with very good results, however not posting this build until its done!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Can i grab advice ref masking?

On the Daring, i am going to use masking tape to spray the hull grey paint, AND then leave the tape in place.

Next leave the grey paint to dry and then add another strip of tape on the new grey to do the boot topping, hope this makes sense lol

Now a 3 part ???

How long should i leave the Tamiya to dry?
How quickly can you remove the tape?
How long can you leave it on for?

I think if I remove the tape and then later try to place a new run of tape in the same place i will not get it in the right place and risk a lot of hassle

Sorry i must seem a right pain in the ar*e:thinking:;)

Hi Bob
Part 1; Leave paint overnight to dry before masking. You can go quicker but why risk it.
Part 2 ; As soon as the paint is touch dry you can remove the tape. Sooner is actually better than later, but I’ve had no issues either way.
Part 3; I’ve left Tamiya tape on for a couple of weeks during aircraft builds with no issues.

You can minimise the paint ridge and the possibilities of paint bleeding under the edge of the tape by shooting light coats that are aimed “away” from the tape. Don’t shoot paint directly at the tape edge as that will force paint past any areas where tha tape is not fully stuck down.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Hi Bob
Part 1; Leave paint overnight to dry before masking. You can go quicker but why risk it.
Part 2 ; As soon as the paint is touch dry you can remove the tape. Sooner is actually better than later, but I’ve had no issues either way.
Part 3; I’ve left Tamiya tape on for a couple of weeks during aircraft builds with no issues.

You can minimise the paint ridge and the possibilities of paint bleeding under the edge of the tape by shooting light coats that are aimed “away” from the tape. Don’t shoot paint directly at the tape edge as that will force paint past any areas where tha tape is not fully stuck down.
Thank you very much Tim

Excellent advice
Bob, Tim nailed it perfectly....Be sure the paint is thinned good and shoot light coats. You should have no probs.......
Hi Allen

Many thanks