First Name
David
Whilst I am waiting for my Mittens to dry, I'm going to make a start on this
Zhu Yuanzhang.JPG

A bit of an abnormal scale ( to me ) not that many parts:
DSCF0482.JPG

A few detail pictures

DSCF0484.JPGDSCF0485.JPGDSCF0487.JPGDSCF0489.JPGDSCF0490.JPG

What is apparent, some of the ingates are into the face of the part, and will need careful removal and clean up.
The boxart shows a curious pair of feathers (?) on top a spike on his helmet - but the parts & assembly instructions lack these!
I've had a brief internet search, and been unable to find any pictures ( other than of this boxart ) showing this headdress...................
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
The assembly instructions are a little bit vague - a matter of trying various bits, to see which way they fit!
DSCF0497.JPG
I've made a base from a surplus MiniArt part, with some plastic card as a paved section.
The parts need careful removal from the sprue, and a lot of cleanup - the fit isn't that good - the model is more like a short run production, and with such small parts, I think some filler will be needed. It is very reminiscent of a Historex model - I can't remember making a Master Box model before and by this standard, I'm not sure I'll build another. I have a 54mm mounted Hussar from MB in the stash - and I'm baffled by the assembly instructions!
Dave

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Dave

It's coming along, but sounds like you're having problems. Those ingates attached to the front of the armour are very nasty and one can't help thinking that MB have been a bit lazy there. I once made three MB 1940s glamour girls ordered for me by a young German modeller with a snicker (my wife was not amused), and they were 1/24 and had equal problems. I remember thinking that I certainly wouldn't attempt one again.

As for the the helmet crest it looks like a winged figure, which I think is a bit fanciful. The reference I've seen seems to indicate that pheasant plumes were used. I hope you don't mind me posting this reference:

0c0a452391510ede3d5337683d950057.jpge659e41f8d0998e897cbb8ae3a035169.jpg5b931215e8304ced2669d667158aae67.jpg

Good luck, though as a better modeller than I, I'm sure you'll pull this one together.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Peter,
thanks for the references - the plumes are very much a final touch - I have no idea on how to represent them, maybe tissue paper or foil, painted with a fine wire spine..............
I saw those 1/24 MB pin-up models, and the odd Greek mythology figures - not really impressed.
I've laid my hands on a limited edition resin figure ( from 2018 ):
roundhead1.jpg
Got it an with a lucky ebay bid - he's 1/24 - I think! There are two tiny white metal parts, the rowels for his spurs. His sword is more like a hockey stick it's so warped!
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
A bit more painting.......................
DSCF0499.JPG

With such an old subject, you can use whatever paint looks right! The armour is called out as 'Old Gold', but I think bronze will fit the bill. The boxart shows a fancy pattern on his tunic ( the mid-blue parts ), presumably woven silk - but I don't think I'll try to reproduce that!
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
This is turning into a real pig!................ I had assumed that the torso fitted to the legs ( as in my above assembly ).............WRONG!
DSCF0506.JPG
I have the right part numbers, but the torso actually sits on a inside ledge formed by the armoured skirts ( 8,9 & 26,27 ). Very similar to the construction of the MiniArt Hoplite. Of course I'd painted all of these bits.
I had to prise apart the legs/torso, then discovered that the AK Gen 3 Bronze was soluble in TET, most of it ending up on my fingers.
I've now separated the bits, and waiting for them to dry before re-assembly. The Master Box French Hussar I have in the stash has the same type of 'instructions' - but even worse - a smaller box, + a horse, and 4 different finish options.
Note the colour call outs - no names - you have to do an internet search to link numbers & names. His helmet has 3 colours assigned - C,E & G - but that's it - the boxart shows 2 colours, but where's the third?
If I sound a bit disgruntled, I am! I think that Master Box will now go into the ' don't touch with a bargepole ' category!
I am going to press on, however - I will finish him - even though he may look a little odd!
Dave

D

Deleted member 6559

This is the problem with a lot of figure kits - no proper instructions. OK, most people know where an arm or a leg go, but the sort of construction problem you've described Dave occurs all the time (Miniart are particularly bad). Most of these figure manufacturers also produce well regarded vehicle kits, so what's the deal?

Full marks for perseverance and good luck with the rest of the build.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Well, I'm giving this it's final written warning! I've tried assembling the skirts to the torso, which makes the skirts too narrow to fit over his legs. Assembling the armour to his legs almost works, but leaves big gaps. I've hacked away plastic, and the poor chap has no hips,no buttocks, and a sunken stomach. The plastic is rather soft, so I've now been using CA - it's the final effort, all the painting has suffered badly & I'll have to redo it from scratch - if my assembly attempts work! I think I've spent more time on this than I did assembling & painting my two mittens, and my enjoyment factor is creeping into negative values...............
Dave

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Sad to hear of the fitting issues Dave, I have a lot of masterbox figures, my personal experience is that they make really nice boxart, but in the end most of them need a lot of filling and scraping to make them look good...

Hope you'll get it right Dave :thumb2:
Steven

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
After a lot of fiddling, cutting, paring, filing & swearing this is assembled ( with what seems to be a bottle of CA )DSCF0510.JPG
I've roughly painted over the errors & mishaps, but I'm going to repaint everything, as it looks very patchy. This will be a one sided model - his back is NOT good, that's the problem with liberal applications of CA, you can't undo things.
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Well, he's looking a bit better than yesterday, as long as he doesn't turn his back!
DSCF0513.JPG
I still have the flaps on his helmet, his sword and pike to add. There's still a fair amount of detail painting & a few washes to apply........but the next pictures will be in the 'completed' section - thank goodness!
Dave

D

Deleted member 6559

That's looking very nice indeed Dave. Your persistence is paying off.