Masters Brush Cleaner

zuludog

SMF Supporter
Over the years I've used various brushes, mostly for enamels, but recently for some acrylic.
No matter how careful I clean them, almost inevitably they become clogged with paint or damaged; or perhaps that's just me? Eventually they reach the state that they can hardly be used
I've tried different things to give them a more thorough clean, like washing up liquid, cellulose thinners, and proprietary brush cleaners, without much success

Recently I heard of Masters Brush Cleaning Soap, and it's excellent!

Just swish a wet brush on the surface to pick up some soap, then knead or work it between your fingers or on the palm of your hand to create a lather, and watch the old paint come out; then rinse
Hardened or very dirty brushes might need more than one attempt
Besides cleaning, it improves the shape and suppleness of the bristles
My sable brushes came up like new; and I had a couple synthetic brushes that had become splayed, and they were restored, if not as new, certainly to be usable again

For better description, and to see the process in action, Search YouTube

It's available in 1oz/30ml pots for about £6, and 2,5oz/75ml pots for about £12, but shop around. Try an art shop, or Surf t'Net

Last edited:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Some people swear by this. Cleaning is a problem, if I leave a brush when detailing for a minute it's a devil to get really clean. If I look at the ferrule end of most of my good brushes I can see traces of paint. Maybe time to invest .
John,

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
I’ve had one pot of this for about 8yrs and it’s still got a bit left in. Happy to endorse :thumb2:

Reactions: JR
First Name
Wouter
This soap is well recommended, I use it for years now, and use it both on my cheap brushes and my Winsor and Newton 7 series. If you clean your brushes with this soap and coat the tip in seliva afterwards your brushes last for years!

Cheers

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thanks Si and Wouter, I've just ordered some !
John.

zuludog

SMF Supporter
Sorry, I forgot to mention this - Search Amazon, there are various combinations on offer

I got a 2,5oz pot from the General Pencil Company, via Amazon, sent from USA, cheaper than from Britain It's about £10 now, inc p&p
Delivery time was estimated to be 3 weeks, but it arrived, in good condition, in 9 days

Those prices I gave do not include p&p, which is typically £3 to £3-50.
So 2,5oz from USA is only slightly more than 1oz from Britain

JOHN RACE - watch the YouTube videos, they show how to use it, and the good results obtained

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Sorry, I forgot to mention this - Search Amazon, there are various combinations on offer

I got a 2,5oz pot from the General Pencil Company, via Amazon, sent from USA, cheaper than from Britain It's about £10 now, inc p&p
Delivery time was estimated to be 3 weeks, but it arrived, in good condition, in 9 days

Those prices I gave do not include p&p, which is typically £3 to £3-50.
So 2,5oz from USA is only slightly more than 1oz from Britain

JOHN RACE - watch the YouTube videos, they show how to use it, and the good results obtained
Thanks my friend..... It was about time I did something with my brushes. Will have a look .
Thanks for bringing this up.:thumb2:
John.