Matchbox 1:72 Westland Lysander

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I needed a little something to fill a small modeling gap, and this is small.

The Matchbox kit is from around 1975 (according to the box) moulds from about 1973. The general fit is really good, but of course, this is an original moulding. Downside, not much (any really) interior detail, so I've had a little go at adding a bit of detail here.

Exterior detail is not too bad at all. Panel lines are a bit deep, but for the original cost it was probably better than the equivalent Airfix kit.

When I tried to offer the vendor the box price of 49p he just smiled, then asked for the £7.00 sticker price, inflation eh !

View attachment 29027View attachment 29028

Regards

Colin M........

View attachment 34496

View attachment 34497

IMG_0083.jpg

IMG_0081.jpg

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
I knew there would be a website somewhere if it was 49p in 1973 it would now cost £4.14 but cost is irrelevant the enjoyment of the build is what counts

T

treyzx10r

Colin nice score looking forward to this build,I just scored a 1/48 Italeri version.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi colin, top work on the scratchbuilt interior bits. I remember making this one as a kid and i dont think i painted it either,the 2 colour plastic seemed good enough at the time!!!!LOL Keep it up mate, looking forward to seeing it progress, cheers tony

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
£4.14 - I was done up like a kipper ! Oh never mind. Trey, I wanted a 1:48 but only came across a gavia offering at the Cosford show which cost £39.00 !

I also remember building this as a kid as well Tony. Even in those long off days I remember being a bit fascinated by the shape of the plane, mind you back in those days I certainly would never have bothered to apply 37 individual masks to the canopy.....................oh the pain of it !

Regards

Colin M.......

First Name
Dave
This takes me back to my youth.I used to love the Mathbox kits.I've got the 1/48 Italeri Lysander in my stash.Hannants sell a detail kit designed for the Gavia model.Im going to get one and see if i can use it on my kit.Costs 20 quid so not too big a risk if it doesnt fit.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Indeed Dave this kit is a blast from the past. Your 1:48 Lysander and PE, that's going to look great - maybe I should have held out for a 1:48 :sad:

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
View attachment 29079 Quick update. Cockpit finished. I've had to make an instrument panel as there isn't one in the kit but I can only fit that after both halves are stuck together. And that canopy, how long did that take to mask ? Why didn't I wait for a 1:48 example. Now, off to fix the shower.

Regards

Colin M.......

View attachment 34537

Cockpit and canopy.jpg

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Hi Colin looking good. By the way you can still get the revell 1/32 version from the Shuttleworth site £12.49 delivered mine should arrive any day now.

Vaughan

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
\ said:
Hi Colin looking good. By the way you can still get the revell 1/32 version from the Shuttleworth site £12.49 delivered mine should arrive any day now.Vaughan
Thanks for the link. Please let me know what it's like when you get yours. quality etc. I recently completed a Revell 1:32 spitfire, it was a bit tricky, but ended quite nice.

Regards

Colin M....

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Hi Colin will do. Hopefully the kit should arrive tomorrow. I'm thinking that the model molds will date from the 70's so externally should be ok. Internally maybe not too much detail but should make an ok build it even comes with decals to match the Lysander they have in their collection. I was happy with the BF109f and Hawker Hurricane that I built and they were both from 70's molds. Here's a review I've just found by Cybermodeler online and they say it's definitely recommended.

Vaughan.

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Revell 1/32 Lysander

Hi Colin

The kit has arrived and looks ok. As you can see from the box the Shuttleworth Collection has put it's own sticker on and provides a history sheet plus it's own decales interestingly the box says the kit is made in Poland and the sprus have been doctored so you can't see where they were made(looks like England)not sure if they were ever made here as I thought Revell was German and some were also made in the US, there is no date stamp on any of the parts so not sure of the age of the molds but guess they are from the 70's. I wont start the kit for some while as still have to finished the BF109G6 then start on the Bearcat and there is also the JU88. I might change the order but will post when I make a start. Good luck with your build

Vaughan

View attachment 34578

View attachment 34579

View attachment 34580

WLdecals.jpg

WLbox.jpg

WL spru.jpg

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Hi Vaughan,

PK 504a is a Matchbox mould, so as with their Spitfire Mk 22/24 it was originally a matchbox offering and so bearing in mind the price, should be an OK kit. At 1:32 even if ther isn't much interior detail, there will be plenty of space to add loads. Happy building.

Regards

Colin M.......

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Hi Colin thanks for the info.

Vaughan

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
View attachment 29258 So, the two halves are stuck together without any dramas. I am still quite impressed with this 1973 ish mould. As I said before, interior detail may be lacking but quality is good. There's no IP in the kit, so I had to make one up (with a lot of creative license) Not shown here but I've also painted under the wings using humbrol metal cote (their spelling) mat aluminium. It's the first time using this colour and I suppose it looks like aluminium ! They also do a polished steel and that is brilliant, I just haven't found a plane I can use that on yet. Right, time for pre-shading.

Regards

Colin M.........

View attachment 34706

IMG_0080.jpg

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Well then the little Lysander is finished. Pics are in the 'Aircraft pictures' section. I believe I can now recommend old Matchbox kits. They need a bit of detail, but practically no filler.

Regards

Colin M.........

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Hi Colin

Great build on such a small scale. I think I will stick to 1/32 scale or even try some 1/48models. I suppose the only disadvantage is where do you put them once finished so a smaller scale might be the way. Again well done I like the Your pictures in the Aircraft section.

Vaughan.