Materials for a diorama base

S

Sodster

Hi fellows

I've tried to make a diorama for my kids JG3 Stalin tank. Base is plywood and plaster.

Though the plaster was a big disapointment since it chips and exposes the plaster under the paint.

Since the photo I've sprayed it brown as a base for adding sand, dirt, gras and weathering.

View attachment 23334

Has anyone any ideas on how to stop the plaster from chipping? What do you guys use as a base other than plaster?

Thanks

Patrik

View attachment 29976

diorama1.jpg

diorama1.jpg

S

Sky Raider

Hi Patrik,

Nice model. The answer to your question is varnish. I would seal it with a flat or matt varnish before painting and adding terain. Dont know if anyone has any other ideas.

Andy

S

Sodster

Hi Andy,

I was thinking along those lines. Good to have it confirmed by the professionals before I goof it up more. :bow:

Cheers,

Patrik

R

Richy C

Hi Patrik welcome to the forum , your base looks very good and seems ashame to go over again just touch it up , I tend to use decorators filler or tiling adhesive as a top coat , although if it is thick it can crack but is easily put right when dry with the same materials and it drys rock hard

I`m sure you will get get many different answers but that is what I would do , even the best diorama modellers have to do a bit of touching in here or there when finnishing so I would not worry to much

it would be good to see some photos when its finnished I`m sure your lads will be well pleased

Richy

A

andygh

If you mix acrylic or watercolour paint into the plaster before you spread it on the base any chipping won't matter

F

Fenlander

Adding PVA lue to the plaster mix will give the plaster a bit more elasticity to, should help in preventing chips and cracks.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I don't use plaster......It will always crack no matter what you put into it.

I use cement based floor tile adhesive. If you want to be doubly sure, buy some liquid Laytex, thin it with water and add to the adhesive powder ( this 'Flexible' mix is used where the tiles are to be fixed to plywood or where movement might occour) This will be spot on for dios and won't crack.

Ron

Last edited by a moderator:
N

noble

I use Celluclay this is a dried out paper mache material and is water based, it is echo friendly and when applied it gives really nice ground texture but by adding water based acrylic tube paint in whatever colour your ground is going to be with a glob of PVA glue into it whilst mixing and apply it thinly it will never crack. However it is a good idea to give the board you are using 2-3 coats of yacht varnish to seal the wood so you don't get any warping.

scott

B

Bunkerbarge

I think the best ideas have already been mentioned. I prefer to start with papier mache but if I do use plaster I use a ready mixed non shrinking type and then seal it with a watered down PVA to bind the surface and better prepare it for paint. It will also benefit from a coat of primer, use grey so you can be sure you haven't missed any spots.

Another useful tip, I used to have a supply of cheap pine picture frames to hand as these make great diorama bases. Just remove the glass and replace it with a sheet of hardboard. The frame finishes off the diorama and looks much more proffessional than nothing.