Matt sealing coat

A

Awins

Hi guys some help please. Ive completed my Tamiya KT. After the base coat of Tamiya Acrylic I applied a gloss coat of Humbrol Clear so that I could carry out the weathering. Question is I now want to seal my hard work and restore the matt finish again. What product should I use as Humbrol havnt released the matt clear acrylic yet.

Cheers guys thank you.

L

Laurie

If you want a matt which is mattier than matt try Vallejo Matt Varnish 26.518.

To give an idea. If I use acrylic matt Vallejo Model Air it looks as it says matt. But if I use the above varnish it produces an incredibly matt compared to the original paint.

Used the same combination Vallejo over Humbrol Clear.

Laurie

A

Awins

Thanks Laurie. My main concern was compatability with each of the products.

L

Laurie

\ said:
Thanks Laurie. My main concern was compatability with each of the products.
You are ok Alan on this concotion. Used it since Humbrol Clear, which I have found a great product and needed for a long time, came out on the market place.

Just a warning. If you are using any of the varnishes they are lethal to airbrushes if you do not give them a good clean afterwards. I clean as normal then I take the needle out and let Vallejo Airbrush Cleaner drip slowly through the nozzle to give it a good chance of clearing any residual varnish.

Laurie

S

Stevekir

I had trouble last year with Vallejo Mat Varnish. It produced tiny spots of white which spoilt the model. Vallejo had no solution: it wasn't a bad batch. I guess that the spots were the powder put into all mat varnishes which are gloss plus the powder. I had shaken the bottle' til my arm fell off. Test it first.

L

Laurie

\ said:
I had trouble last year with Vallejo Mat Varnish. It produced tiny spots of white which spoilt the model. Vallejo had no solution: it wasn't a bad batch. I guess that the spots were the powder put into all mat varnishes which are gloss plus the powder. I had shaken the bottle' til my arm fell off. Test it first.
Not had that problem at all Steve. Did have a faulty something or other in Vallejo. Turned out to be faulty batch. They sent a replacement plus some freebies for me to try out

Any problems or advice needed on Vallejo they have a first class customer service. Email them and you will get an answer within 2 or 3 hours.

Also look at their site. Try the Q and A in the download section. A good lot of information about and how to use their products. First class company, and to their advantage, they look after their customers wants. Even to the point of supplying real painted colour cards. At a cost..

Life Color a good product I have found but you cannot even obtain a color card. Amazing.

Laurie

Last edited:
First Name
Adrian
I agree with Laurie, I've just used Vallejo flat varnish for the first time and I have to say I am pleased with the result.

Adrian