Matting down Tamiya acrylic?

T

T. van Vuuren

I have switched from using Humbrol enamels for the cleas gloss and final clearcoats. I have had a few tins of satin that it seems the matting agent has not fully diluted in the paint and when dry it gives a specled white effect, even after propper mixing.

I have tried Tamiya clear gloss acrylic over the Humbrol enamels for my cheetah build and it seems to dry nice and glossy. I want to now use the same to do the matt coat, but Tamiya doesn't sell a mixed clear ready for use.

Here is the problem - is there a formula or ratio that I use for gloss acrylic to tamiya matting agent for a satin and a full matt coat???

Thanx

Theuns

M

m1ks

Caution, be VERY accurate mixing clear to flat base, any more than 30% will give you a noticeable cloudy finish.

Stir and shake very very thoroughly before each use. (essentially stir and shake till you think it's well mixed, then give it another couple of minutes)

I use a syringe to decant the flat base and a medicine measuring cup for the clear, this one area where approximating definitely doesn't work.

flat base to clear percentages.

10% = Semi gloss

20% = Satin

30% = Flat

THis also work in Klear if you wish to use Klear as a final matte or satin coat.

T

T. van Vuuren

That is exelent ,thanx mate!

I wish I had Klear or Future, but the acrylic seems to work well.

Theuns