Mauretania in Dazzle Camouflage

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I've been kept away from the bench by bad back pain - and whilst lying on my bed, I was thinking about possible future projects. I know I have an Airfix Mauretania in the stash, but the normal Cunard livery didn't really appeal. She was used as a troopship in WWI, and had two different dazzle camouflage patters applied 1917-18
mauretania dazzle.jpg

There are a few photos around ( as above, hand coloured ) and a drawing or two
Copy of MauretaniaPattern.jpg

I have noticed that all of these show the starboard side - I can't seem to find a picture/drawing of the port side. The only one I could find looks merely like a reversed image. I managed to track down some drawings of the 'Olympic', which showed me that port & starboard are totally different. The only portside views are of models. Each ship had a unique pattern applied, designed by the painter Norman Wilkinson.
Anyone have any pointers to pictures, or drawings? - I'm a bit wary about the models, after all, the maker could have had the same problem!
Dave

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Sorry Dave. Can't help.

Andrew

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I see what you mean Dave, there are plenty of photos of the starboard side, but this is the only one I can find of the port side
Copy of MauretaniaPhoto2.jpg (from 1250scale.com).
There are plenty of the Olympic, both sides, so if all else fails I guess you could copy that.
Have you tried emailing Liverpool Maritime museum? I've found them very helpful in the past when researching a ship for a colleague, but of course they might not be working at the moment.
Sorry to hear about your back pain.
Pete

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Pete,
that's the photo I think is a reverse image - it seems to have the same pattern as photos of the starboard side. From my reading it's said that the patterns were different p & s - at the moment. its a bit of a puzzle! :thinking:
Dave

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Dave
i don’t think they are reverse images of each other, look at the bow pattern and the line of the bow to the bridge. Both are different. The crane also appears at different points above the bow.

D

Deleted member 4539

Pete,
that's the photo I think is a reverse image - it seems to have the same pattern as photos of the starboard side. From my reading it's said that the patterns were different p & s - at the moment. its a bit of a puzzle! :thinking:
Dave
This is definately not a reverse image as you can see quite clearly the tug which is not in the first image.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Pete,
Dave
Yes, I see what you mean now.
Pete

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
After a hour or so poking around, I think I've found something which looks pretty useful!
admiralty sketch.jpg
Supposedly an Admiralty sketch of the 1918 pattern.
Not the clearest photo I've seen, but good enough!
Dave

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I didn't know the Mauretania was involved in the Gallipoli campaign until now, so thanks Dave! My grandfather might have either been delivered to Mudros on board her, or returned to the UK when she was a hospital ship after he was wounded.
Pete

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
If you can pull off that scheme Dave, it will be a bit of a showstopper!

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Interesting Dave.

Looking forward to seeing his come together!!

ATB

Andrew