Mayday Mayday - Sudden Airbrushing Problems :(

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Ah. I don't think we have any other posters from NI.
Is there a branch of Games Workshop near you? Maybe they have a compressor you could try your airbrushes with.

Just a thought - I know you tried a new hose, but do you have a quick release adaptor on your hose, and did you change that?
Pete

Komedy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Warren
Ok last set of Pics

Vallejo on top of the Primer at 15 PSI with Flow Enhancer

IMG_20200216_141457.jpg

Next up Tamiya 50/50 with Tamiya Thinners at 20PSI

IMG_20200216_143747.jpg

Now interestingly before doing the white above I did one Red Tamiya 50/50 same as the white but here u can see I have the expected result and nothing changed when I did the white above but the speckling is back.

IMG_20200216_144024.jpg

So all the pics are in the one post here are the other two from this morning.

Ammo Mig with 1 Drop Thinner to ten paint at 18PSI

IMG_20200216_132009.jpg

and then prepping more spoons - Ammo one shot primer 22PSI attempting layer build up.

IMG_20200216_135926.jpg

Last edited:

Komedy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Warren
Ah. I don't think we have any other posters from NI.
Is there a branch of Games Workshop near you? Maybe they have a compressor you could try your airbrushes with.

Just a thought - I know you tried a new hose, but do you have a quick release adaptor on your hose, and did you change that?
Pete

nope no quick release and all today's tests have been done with a brand new needle and nozzle set

Getting fed up painting bloody spoons :tired:

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Is your pressure gauge reading fluctuating when spraying?

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looking through the pictures etc, the effect you are getting looks like poorly atomise paint. I know you are getting the correct air pressures, but are you actually getting the correct airflow....you can have pressure without sufficient airflow, the lag just increase.
If the airflow is unable to properly feed the brush the pressure at the needle/nozzle interface will be much lower than that on the gauge.
by changing the needles etc I think you have effectively eliminated the brushes from the equation....it must therefore be an air supply issue.
Out of interest, when the pressure drop at the start of air demand does it always stabilise at the same place?
have you tried a much higher pressure? If so, where does the pressure stabilise? If the compressor isn’t meeting air demand the higher pressure setting may well stabilise pressure at a similar point to the lower pressure.....

Tim

Komedy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Warren
Looking through the pictures etc, the effect you are getting looks like poorly atomise paint. I know you are getting the correct air pressures, but are you actually getting the correct airflow....you can have pressure without sufficient airflow, the lag just increase.
If the airflow is unable to properly feed the brush the pressure at the needle/nozzle interface will be much lower than that on the gauge.
by changing the needles etc I think you have effectively eliminated the brushes from the equation....it must therefore be an air supply issue.
Out of interest, when the pressure drop at the start of air demand does it always stabilise at the same place?
have you tried a much higher pressure? If so, where does the pressure stabilise? If the compressor isn’t meeting air demand the higher pressure setting may well stabilise pressure at a similar point to the lower pressure.....

Tim

Hi Tim

The drop is usually about 2 PSI on the gauge and when I stop airflow in the airbrush it increases by the same amount.

Going to change the regulator on the compressor as I have another that I picked up

Komedy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Warren
Ok quick update this is what I found after taking of the regulator/filter.... :surprised:

IMG_20200216_161747.jpg

IMG_20200216_162034.jpg

that bit in the middle cant be good....

IMG_20200216_162022.jpg

Tweezers pulled this out

going to try and extract this

IMG_20200216_162820.jpg

Update

Managed to break this much free, so it seems that after the welded the outlet boss to the tank they drilled through from the tank into the boss and didn't break through cleanly.

There is still a chunk I cant get out from the hole into the tank however this is what I did get...

IMG_20200216_164447.jpg

Before fitting the spare regulator I attached the original which when taken off was set at 22PSI - after clearing that stuff its reading 35 PSI :thinking:

Warren

Last edited:

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
Who was it that mentioned QA...?

Leaving swarf inside is unbelievable! I can't imagine small bits of that making it's way through your airline is helping at all. Hopefully it didn't make it to the airbrushes.

Komedy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Warren
Who was it that mentioned QA...?

Leaving swarf inside is unbelievable! I can't imagine small bits of that making it's way through your airline is helping at all. Hopefully it didn't make it to the airbrushes.

Hopefully not - going to have a look at the air valves in each brush - Have the new reg/filter attached, but still concerned that the aperture from the tank through the boss is 50% clear at best.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Warren
Glad you found the problem. Not sure if it’s the picture, but that swarf looks a little oxidised. I would drain condensate out of the tank after every use.
The brushes should be fine, the air has to go through the filter before it is delivered to the outlet hose. I would strip and clean the regulator before using it again though, it could have particles in the internals that will stop it working properly.
cheers
Tim

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Get a Dremel in there and clean up the swarf. Replace the regulator (if you cannot change the filter unit). Should be ok after that. But as Tim says, i would drain the tank far more often too.

Komedy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Warren
Well with the new regulator fitted there is little improvement, paint is just splattering out and impossible to lay down mist coats. Assume the blockage that I haven't been able to clear at the head of the tank is impacting volume while air pressure appears ok. Have phoned the jungle and even with it being 2 weeks outside the 30 days returns the nice agent was helpful to issue a label to return if for the refund.

While in the first weeks it appeared to work ok I think that the pressure has been gradually pushing that mess up as it was fragile enough to break off, even though some is stuck were i cant get at it.

Will cut my losses on this one and order a Sparmax TC-620. Hopefully the Airbrushes survived the trauma.

Thanks everyone for your patience and willingness to help me sort this issue out.

Warren

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
That is what this community is all about Warren. Helping each other. Glad you found the route cause :smiling3:

Komedy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Warren
That is what this community is all about Warren. Helping each other. Glad you found the route cause :smiling3:

Im just hoping this has been the route of the problem and on the evidence I cant imagine it being anything else. On the dremmel comment wouldn't be confident of getting it in there. In this pic you can just make out the edge of whats in the hole and dear knows what else lies beyond.

IMG_20200216_181902.jpg