Mayday Mayday - Sudden Airbrushing Problems :(

D

Deleted member 7181

I had to strip & clean mine out after owning it a few months, been fine since.

Because so many people rebrand these I'm guessing QC is very lax, so there are good ones and bad ones out there.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
It's only a month old would it need that level of intervention
Certainly shouldn't if it's that new but Andy has hit the nail on the head. They are cheap and so maybe poor quality ones slip through.
Jim

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Just be careful tightening up those head bolts. I photoed mine as I took it apart, so I didn't get anything the wrong way round when reassembling.

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Check the needles along their length, do it by feel and you will feel if there is any buildup that has not been cleaned away. I give mine a strip clean after every session but still miss a fraction and that causes mine to miss behave.

Bortig the Viking

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Check the needles along their length, do it by feel and you will feel if there is any buildup that has not been cleaned away. I give mine a strip clean after every session but still miss a fraction and that causes mine to miss behave.
But would this be both brushes ?

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
But would this be both brushes ?
Could very well be, if I have not used an a/b for some time and when I tried the trigger it was stiff, when stripped down I found that there was a build up of residue below the 'trigger'. Cleaned that and all was well.

Bortig the Viking

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Hi, just read another of your threads, am I right you changed the "precision regulator", did your problems start after this, just a thought. If so go back to as it was and try again with the airbrushes.

Komedy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Warren
Hi, just read another of your threads, am I right you changed the "precision regulator", did your problems start after this, just a thought. If so go back to as it was and try again with the airbrushes.

nope was happening without the new regulator fitted.

Have spent the day stripping brushes again, checking the compressor and all fittings. Will get a chance to test after dinner

outrunner

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Having experience of problems with air brake and hydraulic systems I would ask how old is your air hose? Sometimes the inner can start to collapse and cause irregular pressure variations, has the hose been stood on, or severely kinked at some time?

Andy.

Reactions: JR

Komedy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Warren
so here is a link to a quick video I have posted on you-tube. this is the Iwata just running airbrush cleaner at 20PSI to see if this sounds normal ?

Also at 7 seconds I didn't open the flow any further.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
If your compressor is new, have you tightened things back down now it has been used for a while? I know i was advised by the manufacturer to do so after a while of using it to ensure that everything would be working correctly

Komedy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Warren
here are a couple of examples of what I'm getting as a result of this "spittling". These where done straight after the video above with my H&S with Ammo green. Running at 20 PSI again and no matter what I do I cant get smooth even coat down, if I open the feed further the "spittling" effect gets worse.

IMG_20200215_194319.jpg

IMG_20200215_194327.jpg

Komedy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Warren
Sorry for all the posts on this but I'm at a loss and hope the vids and pics help you identify my problem.

This video is with the H&S at 20 PSI with the Ammo Green just before attempting the spoons

Komedy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Warren
If your compressor is new, have you tightened things back down now it has been used for a while? I know i was advised by the manufacturer to do so after a while of using it to ensure that everything would be working correctly

Will check it over now.

Komedy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Warren
I'm at a real loss and starting to loose heart a little. This morning I swapped out the 0.2mm Nozzle and Needle combo in the H&S for an unused 0.4mm set never out of the box and attempted some tests on previously primed spoons. I was using Ammo Mig with one drop of thinner to ten paint.

Spoon on the Left - First Test to try and get a dust coat down at 18 PSI and lightly pulling back on the feed
Spoon in Middle - Second Test with reduced PSI lightly pulling back on the feed
Spoon on Right - un-primed attempt to build up several layers - grainy finish

Going to try other paints now with the 0.4mm setup.

IMG_20200216_132009.jpg

I really appreciate everyones comments and suggestions to date

Warren

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I've given up on Ammo Mig after having to strip a model because their paint wouldn't dry (after 3 weeks!) but that doesn't seem like enough thinner to me. Are you using their thinner?
Pete

Komedy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Warren
I've given up on Ammo Mig after having to strip a model because their paint wouldn't dry (after 3 weeks!) but that doesn't seem like enough thinner to me. Are you using their thinner?
Pete

Yes their thinner and previously I was able to spray these out of the bottle no issues just would have built up in fine layers. The main problem I see at the minute is the speckling effect I am ending up with as a result of this "spittling" noise I get as gradually open the paint feed

Komedy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Warren
Sorry this thread is becoming image heavy but only way I can explain what I am getting

ok here are some shots from priming more spoons - MIG one shot primer although building in layers from left to right. You can see immediately on the left two spoons the speckling. 1st two done at 22PSI second two reduced to 18PSI

IMG_20200216_135926.jpg

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Warren.
I can sympathise with you. It nearly made me give up ,the shear frustration with trying everything in the book.
When you showed the two videos was I right in seeing a gap in the spray at one point and then it cleared and started again.
Think you should try to find someone local who can try our your ab's.
If they work then it's the compressor on the hose .