Mazur D-350 1:25 Scale

T

Tim Crowe

No time to waste, straight on with the next build:

The Mazur D-350 is a Polish artillary tractor, based on a T-54 tank. There is a brief history and description available here:

D-350 Mazur

This impressive kit comes in a thick A4 book. Which consists of: 2 pages of instructions (in polish) 8 pages of build diagrams, 2 pages of structural parts to laminate to 1mm card. And lastly 20 pages of parts.

This is a very detailed kit and also gives you the option of simple band-type tracks or building individual track links, if you feel energetic.

I reckon this kit will be my big build for this year

Tim

T

tommy1drop

Hi Tim

Looks really interesting, looking forward to following this build mate.

Tom

R

rememal

Is there a UK supplier for these models.

Just looked on their web site and like the look of the VT-34 and JT-34.

Malc.

T

Tim Crowe

\ said:
Is there a UK supplier for these models.Just looked on their web site and like the look of the VT-34 and JT-34.

Malc.
I would order direct. They take paypal (works best) or credit cards.

I use them all the time. Standard delivery works out at about 4 euros. I have never had any problems - delivery is about ten days

These two kits are not for the faint hearted. Internet searches will often give you build threads that givev you an idea of what you are letting yourself in for.

Two of the best sites are here:

WWW.KONRADUS.COM - FORUM KARTONOWE - Dzia³y

http:http://www.papermodels.pl/index.php//www.papermodels.pl/index.php

Hope this helps

Tim

T

Tim Crowe

With the start of spring, excellect progress has been made:

The frame is built up in the usual way. With the laminated parts being glued onto 1mm card. Cut out and assembled.

Gave her a quick rub down to remove any lumps and bumps.

Next stage was to start fitting the skins. Test fitting revealed a little bit of trimming, nothing major though.

There are lots of small sub-assemblies that require building up.

Getting a bit tired of losing parts. So have bought a set of plastic trays to keep parts in.

Planning to paint this model. So no time wasted colouring edges. The kit supplies loads of screw heads to cut out. Don't really think my eyesight is up to that task. So i'm using laser cut ones.

Tim

R

rememal

Thanks for the info.

I will give them a try some time.

I don`t mind trying new things and I like 1/24/5 scale.

I would prefer British stuff, though.

Your build is looking good.

Malc.

T

Tim Crowe

Some progess has been made:

I think I'm going to have to paint this model as its gets built. Otherwise some ares will be hard to reach.

One good thing with this model is the great selection of photographs available. It really helps.

Tim

T

Tim Crowe

Been a while since my last post. But, some progress has been made:

The tolerances have been very tight on building these wheels up. The drive wheels were a complete pain. Found out they were too wide for the tracks. Took them apart and rebuilt.

Used wood dowel, sanded to shape. Beats petal folds, especially at this scale.

No modelling Sunday (20/04/13) off to ModelKraft in Milton Keynes. Sharing a stand with David Hathaway (Paper Shipwright)

Tim

First Name
Peter
Hi Tim Crowe,

This is a very interesting subject and also your performance with this paper model is excellent :smiling3: If you need some help with the instructions I could help you translate some tricky sentences. I'll be watching your build.

Regards,

Marudek

Last edited by a moderator:
T

Tim Crowe

\ said:
Hi Tim Crowe,This is a very interesting subject and also your performance with this paper model is excellent :smiling3: If you need some help with the instructions I could help you translate some tricky sentences. I'll be watching your build.

Regards,

Marudek
Thank you for your kind offer - might take you up on it.

Tim

T

Tim Crowe

Struggling with this one gents:

The road wheels are a complete pain in the arse. Beggining to see why there are no other build threads for this kit.

Tried to form the cast sections in a curve, but the lamiated sections are too thick. So have had to score them. Which kind of spoils the appearance.

Have also been building some other small kits, just to keep my sanity:

Back to the wheels. Have found that these are too small for the round sections to fit. Have had to improvise by building the wheels up in strip form.

Going to have to add some more depth. Overall, it doesn't look too bad.

Tim

T

Tim Crowe

Tracks have turned up:

Er, anyone got any thought on how to build them up?

Do I keep them linked up, or separate them.

Tim

T

Tim Crowe

Built up the cargo area:

Went together well. Have scribed panel lines and hatch covers into the floor area. Also added lots of rivets.

Did experiment with coffee stirrers, but they looked too thick.

Tim

T

Tim Crowe

Started to build up the bottom half of the model:

Have so many sub-assemblies built up, am starting to worry they will get lost. The kit comprises of three main parts: cab unit, cargo area and the chassis unit, which I think is based on a T-54.

Always get a bit worried, building up the suspension units on tanks. The suspension arms are glued to axles that go all the way through the chassis. And at the other ends the axles are only there to keep every thing in line till it dries.

Tim

First Name
Aaron
Wow...i have mad respect for paper modellers and seeing this work just reinforces my position on that. Ive seen some paper modellers on utube and they describe how labour intensive the craft is so i take my hat off to you sir.

T

Tim Crowe

Tracks are done:

Started off by painting the tracks on the card with black ink. This dried very quickly and gave a good finish. Then assembled the tracks in sections.

Did try mixing silver and brown inks. But settled on black. Will weather it later.

Started off by gluing the road wheels to a length of track. This is to keep them level and in line. The dowel helped too.

Was worried about forming the track round the ends. But it seems to bend at the right places.

I installed the grouser bars after assembly.

Just the cab section left to do now.

Tim

T

Tim Crowe

Been a while since my last post. There has been a bit of progress on this build. Started to build up the cab section.

Roof is finally on. The original part was too smal. So I ran it through the copier. And left some excess on - hence the white lines:

Bit of a rush to get it finished for the Milton Keynes show in April

Tim