McCann Submarine Rescue Chamber, 1:24

J

johnpipe108

I finally started a simpler sub project, the rescue chamber originally proposed by Commander Momsen in 1927, but completed by Commander McCann when Momsen was ordered to develop his escape apparatus ("Momsen Lung").

Body is glued up from a 2 x 4 x 12 block of hobby basswood, then turned on the hand lathe:

Here the mostly finished body is shown with some documents used for planning:

Upper lid turned from walnut, with bottom half of sew-on clothing snap for handwheel:

Add hatch surround, air connections, and prepare faux spring axle:

Add pad eyes and electrical connector stubs:

More to come soon; I've made up eye-ports and have to correct one and replace it, and install another. The 1937 motion-picture release "Submarine D-1" has excellent detail images of the chamber, close up, with simulated rescue two years before it was used on the real thing with the Squalus casualty.

One problem, all images of the original are in black and white, and there's no easy way to determine the actual color of the original; it looks very white in most photos (later ones got some different paint jobs).

More to come soon, regards, John

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Outstanding work John, always love your woodworking skills and this is no exception-masterful. Colour wise I would have thought the original either white or a light grey.

Looking forward to more.

Si:smiling3:

J

johnpipe108

Thanks, I think I will paint it white until I find out differently, light gray is likely but would require a close specification (still trying to find out whom to contact re: US naval history on this). I've added the view ports, and filled in a mis-placed initial installation. I've molded Fimo type clay around the electrical connections to simulate the watertight rubber boots. Such specific details are found by viewing the motion picture "Submarine D-1" which has great close-up photography of the chamber (a considerable treasure house of other US pre- Pearl Harbor imagery on the Pacific Fleet in maneuvers, too). I just wish the DVD I bought (DVD-R) would play reliably on my computer so I could capture and post some comparative images (works fine on the stand-alone TV player).

Here's the latest work photo:

Regards, John

J

johnpipe108

Latest details on hinge structure for hatch. Film image from Submarine D-1 reveals the details close up:

Details almost complete on the hinge structure; only two small pieces of reinforced rib needed:

Hand-holds added; after the small details are finished for the hatch, this will be ready for painting:

Regards, John

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
wow , John that is very impressive, so well made and so much detail you have added, great build,

lock forward to next update,

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Superb detailing John, this is coming together wonderfully.

J

johnpipe108

Well here we are; finally finished the details and painter her up, white for now until I hear otherwise:

Hope you like it,

regards, John

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Superb John! Outstanding detailing and the colour looks spot on to me. Like this very much.

L

Laurie

Hello JohnPipe and hope you are well and in good spirits.

Another one of your classics John. You remind me of my eldest son. He improvises and makes his own bits and pieces. He melts down lead and makes his own fishing lump weights and many other things.

Nice to see craftsmanship as it is a disappearing art. A very nice piece and a divergence from your gunware.

Laurie