Me-109 G2 1:33 Orlik

R

rjwood_uk

very nice progress Johnny.

the bomb bay will be interesting to see. how do you make sure the internal frames for the wings are 100% perpendicular? the F-15 kit im going to do relies on the frame being perfect to get the whole models shape right.

J

Johnny

I'm sure the wings are correct because there is just one wat the framing fits.

The internal structure is preshaped so that the dihedral is given.

I also use laserframes,so there is no error possible from my side :smiling3:

When making the internal framing for your F15 , you have to be very precise in your cuts,do a lot of dryfitting and be sure everything is properly aligned before you put the skins on.

I'm not sure how many papermodels you have done?

But it can be quite easy to get things a bit twisted.....

J

Johnny

Continuing working on the tail.

First was to place the internal framing for the vertical stab.

Next was the internal framing and skinning of the stab

And the stabilizer is in place

B

Bunkerbarge

Once again I am amazed at just what smooth curves you can achieve with card. The rear fuselarge looks amazingly smooth and perfectly shaped without any odd section changes or edges visible. Lovely job as always Johhny.

J

Johnny

Thanks Richard!

Paper is quite easy to shape,and it stays in the shape you make.

The way to get smooth joints are to preshape the sections and do a lot of dryfitting before gluing :smiling3:

Did the rest of the tail today.

A

alan2525

I must admit that the assembled fuselage really looks the part!

Great work and interesting to watch the build come together too!

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Johnny you are a master of your craft,this model looks as if it is going to be another one of your masterpieces.

J

Johnny

Thanks Barry!!

So the exiting wings was on turn.....

Here I have glued on the underside of the left wing.

I preshaped the leading edge before gluing the top

The skin is glued on, and the left aileron are waiting.The wingskin had a perfect fit!

Aileron and wingtip are ready

Next side

And the wings are ready

I had to plave the fuselage on the wings :smiling3:

In between the wingwork waiting for glue to dry, I did some other smaller work.

The tailwheel and the Air inlet

And the middle part of the canopy and one of the landing wheels....for the moment dusted with desert sand....

G

GEEDUBBYA

Howdy Johnny,

I have been following this thread for sometime now without commenting because I knew that you were about to show everyone something that most people dont believe..... Card models can be as beautiful as a plastic model kit and sometimes even more so.

I totally concurr with Barry on his statement, you are a true master of the craft and I want to thank you for showing the folks here in the forum just what can be achieved with paper.

A few years ago when I first came to this forum, I tried to stir some interest in cardmodels, I posted links to free downloads of all types from aircraft to cars, trucks, rockets, airships, sci-fi models such as star wars, a few animals and models of things that myself or other forum members had built in plastic. The response was really good, I even created threads at the cardmodels forum inviting members there to join here and invited the members here to join there. All in hopes of opening a new "world" to the members of this site.

Well, I know of several members here, like RJ Woods and Russell Sharp aka Desert rat racer and a few others who have taken a liking to cardmodels.

However, I believe you have done more to promote cardmodelling in this one thread than i have in the 3 years that i have been a member here, for this, I salute you!

Your model is beautiful and even though I have built cardmodels in the past, each time I see one "come to life" from what I know were once flat sheets of paper, it amazes me still.

All I can say is Bravo and keep up the good work, I look forward to the completion of this model and your next endevour.

Have a good day,

Greg aka GEEDUBBYA (GW)

:respect1: :respect1: :respect1:

J

Johnny

Thanks for your nice and inspiering words Greg!

I really don't see myselves as a master of the papercraft....in fact I have more that 2 thumbs (not as many as 10 though) and still have plenty to learn.

I have just been doing this for two and a half years , so I don't have much experience to talk about.

One thing though....I'm not afraid to give things a try :smiling3: So I guess that attitude gives me something.

Today I have had a really lazy day......not much progress to talk about.

I just got some minor things done.

One of the wheels on the landing gear is ready.I'm not quite happy with the center hub....I have to make some changes to the hub with another part from another kit I have with a better looking hub.

Next was one of the oil coolers under the wings

I also made one of the propeller blades

Some small bulbs was added to the front part

R

rjwood_uk

simply...WOW excellent work as usual johnny. stunning. it looks so real.

A

alan2525

Must have been a long day at work...I was wondering why all the photos of the tail section has smiley faces on!

I realise it's to hide a certain insignia! I hope those smileys aren't printed on the card model

J

Johnny

Due to german laws the swastika symbol is forbidden.And not to disturb their feelings I have masked the symbol since I also am a member of german forum.

You will find the pics without the masking on my site.

J

Johnny

A few more parts finished.

Propeller

The rear protection. Does anyone know if this is supposed to be attached to the canopy or attached to the rear part behind the seat??

Gunsight

The air inlet ( I think)

B

Bunkerbarge

Armour lends itself to card quite readily and although Johnny's other models have been superb I never expected the complex curves of an aircraft to come out anywhere near as impressive.

This has, once agian, opened my eyes to a whole new world.

Fantastic build thread as always and incredibly interesting to follow.

T

tigertc

\ said:
Armour lends itself to card quite readily and although Johnny's other models have been superb I never expected the complex curves of an aircraft to come out anywhere near as impressive.This has, once agian, opened my eyes to a whole new world.

Fantastic build thread as always and incredibly interesting to follow.
naaaa...Johnny is just very very talented at these things :smiling3:

J

Johnny

Approaching the final stage.

Now it's only some detailing work left.

Here is the present stage.My plan is to make a small scene on the grass.

The canopy is done. I'm not very pleased with the result.I slipped and glue dots came on the glass.....But it still looks ok from a distance.

The transition between the wings and fuselage

Exhaust pipes are under construction

B

Bunkerbarge

Superb Johnny. A lovely model and, as always, beautifully put together.

T

tigertc

I can only agree with Bunk...Stunning. My jealousy of your skills is overwhelming!!