Meanwhile, somewhere in Europe

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
hi Gerry
You're really going to town with this and what a cracking job you're doing. Tarp look great with the attached rope. Fire is very well done - not easy.
Jim

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
That's not looking bad at all mate.
hi Gerry
You're really going to town with this and what a cracking job you're doing. Tarp look great with the attached rope. Fire is very well done - not easy.
Jim
Thanks.
Jim, I think that the reason that I'm 'going to town' is the quality of everyone elses work is pushing me to do more than I would if just doing it for myself!

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Question (brain has stepped up a gear - scary!) should I have a broken branch on the tree?
Reasoning
Now got firewood next to the fire, which would have to come from somewhere - my thoughts are probably not from the tree, as the tree would be 'green/live', and you need dead wood for a fire, but alternatively, could've been a 'windfall/gale damage' during the previous winter?

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Makes sense to me.........or could have been a dead limb which could easily have been snapped off for fire wood. Rick H. :thumb2:

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Makes sense to me.........or could have been a dead limb which could easily have been snapped off for fire wood. Rick H. :thumb2:
That's another idea for a bit of deadwood! Will work in a 'stump' somehow :thumb2:
Actually, think that I might just do the stump as an off-shoot :thinking:

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
First attempt at the wet banks of the stream - hopefully doesn't look too bad?
IMG_20210521_183516959~2.jpg
IMG_20210521_183700523~2.jpg
IMG_20210521_183805787~2.jpg

Last edited:

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Gerry,
All coming together very nicely mate, the smoke looks very convincing.

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Gerry,
All coming together very nicely mate, the smoke looks very convincing.
Thanks Scottie, reckon that when the water is done in the pool, I'll have to carefully apply a small blob of CA to hold the smoke at the fire end, as at the moment the slightest air movement takes it away from the fire (only held by a couple of fibres against the flame at the moment) can't use hairspray, as it blows it off :angry: .
Surprising what you get up to when waiting for something that's 'holding the build up' - load of braided rope, pile of firewood, pot with steaming water, 'bushier' tree (with a dead branch broken off), the wet stream banks and the edges of the whole thing painted black - not much else I can get on with now

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Been putting the pin vice and drills to use - fairly sure that the pots/bucket are probably too thick, but as they'll not be 'in ya face' not too unhappy with the effort.
Drilled through the hand, bent half of the handle, then fed through and bent the other side, bucket handle and main pot handle are paperclip wire, the small 'loop' handle is a staple cut down and bent - the pots and bucket are cut from a 'intra-dental' brush cover heated and stretched over a pencil, base of bucket is from a yoghurt pot.
IMG_20210524_081525191~2.jpg

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Nice work. Detail like this always adds to the build.

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Nice work. Detail like this always adds to the build.
Thanks Tim, probably if I were to put my mind to it, I could do better, possibly by using different parts of the yoghurt pot for all of the pots and bucket, and using smaller wire, rather than the paper clip (or even using stretched sprue), but still learning! Might have another go at them during the week.

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Last post on this thread - next will be in the 'completed' section.
Think that I've got this corner done - hardest part, as it's got the things that I'd never done - water, smoke and fire.
IMG_20210524_162746207~2.jpg

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Gerry,
You should be very happy with that it is a cracking result. really like the guy collecting water.

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Gerry,
You should be very happy with that it is a cracking result. really like the guy collecting water.
Thanks Scottie, yes, happy with it for a second attempt at a dio, (probably a more experienced modeller would have done a far better job), I've learnt a lot doing it as I tried some new things and had fun doing them (even the ones that ended up in the bin!) some bits had me wondering what the heck I was doing :tongue-out3:
I re-done the water as the previous attempt didn't sit 'right' in the river bed, so worked straight onto the base and offered a prayer to the gods of dioramas - it seemed to work!

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
All very nice...tarp, smoke, buckets, the guy precariously trying to get water and the wet look Gerry. Not being afraid to try new stuff is the way to go...eventually it will be done right.

Cheers,
Richard

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Gerry
Great work all round
I like him a lot as well :thumb2:
Not being afraid to try new stuff is the way to go.
Very true. That's how we learn and it keeps the hobby fresh.
I would be very proud of what you have achieved. Look forward to some nice photos of the completed dio.
Jim

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
That is a very nice result Gerry.........as the others have said it all comes together with practice. you should be well pleased with what you have accomplished in just a short time. Rick H. :thumb2:

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
All very nice...tarp, smoke, buckets, the guy precariously trying to get water and the wet look Gerry. Not being afraid to try new stuff is the way to go...eventually it will be done right.

Cheers,
Richard
Must admit that I've looked closer at the water, and spotted a couple of things that can be improved, but not without pulling bits off, so will leave it and mark for future reference!

Hi Gerry
Great work all round

I like him a lot as well :thumb2:

Very true. That's how we learn and it keeps the hobby fresh.
I would be very proud of what you have achieved. Look forward to some nice photos of the completed dio.
Jim
Thanks Jim - don't think that many people have noticed that the guy getting the water is left-handed - no right arms that I could work with. Hope that the photos are ok (can take closer ones to 'fill out' details)

That is a very nice result Gerry.........as the others have said it all comes together with practice. you should be well pleased with what you have accomplished in just a short time. Rick H. :thumb2:
Thanks Rick, think that I enjoyed the build more than making the kits - more practice needed on figures though.