Medieval Tower , my new build.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Fantastic. Truly great work. Very well done.

Andrew

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Yeah...I like the tower Sue, its very rainy now so get the roof up soon. :smiling2:

Cheers,
Richard

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
That is just the bomb Sue.....can't wait to see how the roof turns out. Are you still looking to overgrow it in ivy?.....and make it all "creepy" looking?? ;)
Rick H.

sootysue

Sooty sue
First Name
susan
IMG_5599.JPGIMG_5600.JPGIMG_5601.JPG:thumb2::upside::upside::thinking: Hi Model Forum Friends, here is few pictures of the build . I have put the cardboard roofs on after many :confused: try's . Then i realised i have bricked up two windows by mistake:smiling5:, oh well my excuse is window tax. Please correct me if i am wrong but in England years ago didn't they charge' a window tax, meaning your home was taxed on each window you had in your home so some windows got filled in/bricked up. I have missed two windows and one door , out comes the knife . Next bit is to put the tiles on oh the build continues .

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
View attachment 439723View attachment 439724View attachment 439725:thumb2::upside::upside::thinking: Hi Model Forum Friends, here is few pictures of the build . I have put the cardboard roofs on after many :confused: try's . Then i realised i have bricked up two windows by mistake:smiling5:, oh well my excuse is window tax. Please correct me if i am wrong but in England years ago didn't they charge' a window tax, meaning your home was taxed on each window you had in your home so some windows got filled in/bricked up. I have missed two windows and one door , out comes the knife . Next bit is to put the tiles on oh the build continues .
Coming on nicely Sue and yes we did have a window tax...!!!

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
WELL done sue an ive never heard of this window tax is this a wind up lol
chris an jen

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
WELL done sue an ive never heard of this window tax is this a wind up lol
chris an jen
Sue, hope you don't mind the interjection....

Chris, not a wind up....

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Excellent stuff Sue. Yes Chris, it was a real tax…see here…
In addition during Victorian times some landlords charged more for homes with all windows clear, and fitted outside boards to those houses where the tenants didn’t want to pay extra so the light couldn’t get in!

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
This gives further information on it....the usual Wikipedia caveats apply....

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Excellent stuff Sue. Yes Chris, it was a real tax…see here…
In addition during Victorian times some landlords charged more for homes with all windows clear, and fitted outside boards to those houses where the tenants didn’t want to pay extra so the light couldn’t get in!
Clearly great minds think alike.....of course it's more likely a complete coincidence.....but let's stick to 'great minds'!! ;)

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
WELL BLIMEY im bloomin glad we moved out of that three story lord of the manor house that we lived in for 33 yrs as that had about 15 windows an i often wondered why some of them were bricked up well Sue young lady you have learned me something today that i never knew well done young mam
chris jen

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Nice job on the roof SOO........glad we don't have that stupid tax here, the last house I built had 28 windows and a sliding glass door.....i would have been taxed out of house & home! Rick H.

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Ooooh, thot it was more recent Tim.
But 1851 isn't that long ago... ;) ....

My wife and I have recently been watching some old episodes of a BBC program called Who Do You Think You Are? Where famous people have their family trees traced.

In the last series we watched, two people turned out to be direct descendants of William the Conqueror of 1066 fame.... And a 10 minute walk for us are the remains of an old Norman castle..... ;) :smiling2:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Sue
Looks great with the roof on. It really makes the whole building almost complete.
In 1660, nine years before the window tax was introduced, a fireplace tax was introduced. It only lasted about 40 years but did result in home owners bricking up fireplaces to avoid the tax. In the UK we still have a television tax - usually referred to as a television license :rolling:
Jim

Last edited:

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
"But 1851 isn't that long ago... " ....

Not sure about that Andrew,..... :thinking: .............
..... Better ask Mr.Race!!:tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy:,
Andy

Andy the Sheep

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrea
Nice build, Sue. :thumb2:
Sorry for being late with my appreciation for your work. :disappointed2:
About TV taxes: we have a television tax too, it's called "subscription" but it's a tax for owning TV sets (who doesn't? :money-face:), it's meant to fund the National TV channels and, to avoid "easy escapes", it's included in the electric power bill, whatever the provider. The principle at its roots is: only those who live without electric power have (probably, I add) no TV set (unless they ride their homemade generators while watching their favoured TV show :tongue-out:).
Maybe Window(s) tax could be resumed and updated, and who doesn't have a window on the computer? (...and in an equalizing effort, a tax on apple trees could be approved as well. :tongue-out: :tears-of-joy:).
Jeeves! my coat, hat and gloves, if you please... :flushed: