Medium Tank M3 from MiniArt — not a Sherman for once!

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Thanks. I just need to do a little detail painting now, and build the tracks …

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Jakko,
Excellent build and paint finish, looking forward to the final pics.
Mike

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Track number one done:

17BDDC3A-6C5F-4A71-8A69-8362B42E32FF.jpeg

Though MiniArt says 79 links, like on the real tank, this is 77. The idler wheel, though, is fairly far forward so perhaps 78 would be better — however, I can’t seem to pry the link halves apart anymore, so this will have to do.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Jakko,
Nice work I think your right one more link would have been better but they still look good.

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Track number one done:

View attachment 419957

Though MiniArt says 79 links, like on the real tank, this is 77. The idler wheel, though, is fairly far forward so perhaps 78 would be better — however, I can’t seem to pry the link halves apart anymore, so this will have to do.
Leave it, it looks ok from here.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
It would fall right off the tank with 79 links, I’m fairly sure :smiling3: As I intend to have the tank look brand-new (it won’t be weathered at all, for example) I’ll go with these very tight tracks on both sides.

Altogether, these aren’t the easiest Sherman tracks I’ve built, but they’re not actually as bad as they may seem. You will, however, need to build or find yourself an assembly jig, else you’ll never get them together. I doubt I’ll buy a set of these for any future Shermans etc. I intend to build, though — the Panda Plastic tracks are by far my preferred type so far.

Graeme C.

SMF Supporter
First Name
Graeme
The tracks look fine Jakko, the 'live' tracks on these didn't sag, if you added another link or two it would be too slack.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Exactly, though the idler can swivel like on the real tank, so it can probably compensate for the length of one more link — though I doubt it will for two.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
After painting the tracks and adding the engine bay doors and a aerial, this model is now finished.