Meet the Fokker

L

lemoff

Fokker E III 1/72.

Well... this was a random model sub £5 that i asked John for. I got exactly what i wanted (not to mention cracking service, as usual) something that i would not have chosen (being interesting in planes i already have the usual suspects) but something that i am enjoying building (along with trying to learn how to airbrush on my other 2 'nearly finished' models hehe).

View attachment 31599View attachment 31594View attachment 31595

There really is not much to it.

View attachment 31596

Painted up the pilot...

View attachment 31597

and for some reason made him look like a transvestite.

View attachment 31598

It made me chuckle so i might just leave it like it.

If i can spray my 109 and junkers tonight i might crack on some more later.

View attachment 36616

View attachment 36617

View attachment 36618

View attachment 36619

View attachment 36620

View attachment 36621

DSC_1138.jpg

DSC_1140.jpg

DSC_1145.jpg

DSC_1146.jpg

DSC_1147.jpg

DSC_1137a.jpg

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
\ said:
Fokker E III 1/72.There really is not much to it.

Painted up the pilot...

and for some reason made him look like a transvestite.

Stilletos in a fabric covered plane, surley not !! I built one of these little Revells (an SE5 I think) and it was actually OK. Well at least it doesn't take too much room up when completed.

Regards

Colin M...........

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I like the little beast, but its got to have rigging !

Colin M.......

L

lemoff

I have been meaning to ask people on some tips for that. Any pointers how to fix it and what sort of material to use?

Can i just use some cotton?

If i use glue, wont it melt the paint?

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Nice job.

For the rigging cotton would be way over scale. How about some stretched sprue?you can get that quite fine.

Steve

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Know any anglers or sparkies? Some folks use fishing line or strip electrical wire to get at the finer wires inside. There was a thread here a couple of weeks ago where someone mentioned EZ wire (Think that's right) which is a sort of elasticated thing which keeps it tight.

Don't know how you're going to fix it 'cos as you say, any glue will dissolve your paint. So unless you just touch up afterwards?

Gern

L

lemoff

I could try that, how would you attach it though? Different glue? Or perhaps a layer of clear over the model and use the usual glue on that?

L

lemoff

I wonder if a slight wash might cover up where the glue melts the paint??

I have loads of cables i could get a couple of strands out of, that might be an idea.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I've got some of both. I'll try my superglue and let you know how it works.

Gern

T

tecdes

I use knitting elastic thread. It stretches 10/1 & so far I havenot had it droop after using it on five models. Also used E Z Linewhich comes in black. The Knitting thread is a whitish transparent butcan be coloured with a pen.http://www.amazon.co.uk/Goldzack-Knitting-Elastic-1-5mm-Trans/dp/B000P18T1G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1313606693&sr=8-1

II have used thin superglue to fix it. Just a very very tiny drop on theplace it is attached using a pin or needle. I then dip the very end ofthe thread in superglue accelerator & with tweezers guiding thethread end & touch the drop of superglue. Should be instant. Beingcareful not to drench the end of the thread as it will spill on to thepaint & make a mark. If you are attracted to this method I shouldhave a few trial efforts first. Also use specs or goggles as if you letit ping back at you it will not be fun.

Laurie

Last edited:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I've tried superglue on both my fishing line and thin steel wire. It does work - but only just! It will hold them in place but I wouldn't like to say how long for if it's under tension to stop it sagging.

Gern

L

lemoff

Missed these replies.

Cheers all, i will look to get some stuff soon and put it right :D

G

Guy Wilde

The real problem with the rigging is keeping it taught, if it sags it will look like a clothe line. I would suggest using a long hair from a willing wife or girlfriend, or perhaps the finest fishing line you can get. To prevent sag you'll need a firm way to connect both ends of whatever you use. The best thing would be to drill small holes as close to the diameter of the hair or line as possible, though slightly larger. Feed the hair through the hole in the wing with a good amount hanging out the other side. Tie a small knot on the bit hanging from the bottom and then pull it up into the hole. If the size of the knot closely matches the size of the hole you should be able to pull it up snug without pulling it through. Use a small glue applicator to secure the hair and let it set overnight. You may need to put a bit of putty or white glue on the area to fill in any little gaps.

Your aircraft is a bit tricky as I don't think the wires from the wing attach to the fuselage, I think they tie into that little brace forward of the cockpit. I would try wrapping the other end around the brace somehow pulling it as taught as you can without breaking the brace off, gluing it, and them trim the dangling end once the glue is dry.

The application was a bit different from your situation, but this method worked well for me on a 1/72 scale Po 2 biplane, both for the wing rigging and the surface control wires running externally back to the tail section.

I hope this helps, aircraft from this era are extremely difficult if you decide to do the rigging, but they do lack that look of authenticity without it.

PS< I see that a previous poster actually has pics of his Po2...very nice job indeed, so whatever he did obviously worked well !....I should have read all the other posts before blabbing on about my method !

Last edited: