Meng 1:35 A39 Tortoise superheavy tank, with a twist, started 2016

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
About five years ago, I bought Meng’s A39 Tortoise kit.

EA498998-ACBB-4438-8B91-43F4E95E94E0.jpeg

This is one that really existed, a British superheavy tank, though it went no further than six prototypes built after the Second World War was over, one of which survives at Bovington:

1568px-Bovington_146_Tortoise_1.jpg (Wikipedia)

I got as far as assembling the running gear onto the lower hull (minus tracks) and doing some work on the upper hull and machine-gun turret, such as removing moulding seams and restoring/applying more cast texture with putty.

ADE667C2-9179-44D2-B88B-61516145BB18.jpeg2DBECC37-4C7C-4DCE-B0E1-A9EFED7596CD.jpeg

Then it stalled in favour of other models …

As you may notice, though, the model isn’t quite the same as the Bovington tank. This is because when I was looking over the kit and wondering how exactly I was going to build it, I decided to make a Tortoise Mk. 2 out of it — which is entirely fictitious, of course, making it a “what if the Tortoise had been adopted and updated in the 1950s”-model. This is why I filled the hole for the Besa bow machine gun and replaced the Besas in the machine-gun turret by M1919 Browning barrels from AFV Club Centurion kits. I’m still debating which other modifications might have been made, which probably requires a little more research into when exactly Centurion got upgraded with certain features like a spotlight, external fuel tank etc.

I’m going to finish my M29C Weasel first, though, so don’t expect much or any work on this model just yet :smiling3:

Last edited:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Jakko
Very interesting, as are all your models. I'll wait for the start and follow along. Tortoise doesn't really seem a very intimidating name for a super heavy tank. Doesn't really have the hint of threat that say 'King Tiger' has :smiling:
Jim

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
One change would be that they’d make it using armoured plate. The Bovvy one is in mild steel LOL….and apparently a single prototype Mosquito aircraft was fitted with that monster of a gun! I would expect the gun mantelet to be designed using experience gained from that seen on the Tiger II or Jagdtiger..

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Very interesting, as are all your models.
I’m glad someone else thinks so too :smiling3:

Tortoise doesn't really seem a very intimidating name for a super heavy tank. Doesn't really have the hint of threat that say 'King Tiger' has :smiling:
I suppose it was inspired by its speed and armour? Not sure, but it seems likely.

One change would be that they’d make it using armoured plate.
Maybe I should face-harden the plastic, then, for accuracy? Heat it up in the kitchen oven then dunk it in a sink full of water?

I would expect the gun mantelet to be designed using experience gained from that seen on the Tiger II or Jagdtiger..
Oh, good thought, not one I had had. My idea is to either saw off the barrel and put a 120 mm (like Conqueror or M103) in, or add a fume extractor to the barrel. But either depends on when those were introduced in the real world, and until when I think Tortoise could believably have remained in service.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Why not the 20pdr? It would be more contemporary?

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Because Centurion had that already by the time its Besa was swapped for a Browning. I don’t think it would make sense to arm a tank like Tortoise with the same gun, as I see it as taking up the niche Conqueror was built for: taking on heavy enemy tanks at longer ranges. For which, perhaps, the 32-pounder would work just as well. A fume extractor on it would make it clear (to those in the know) that this isn’t intended to be a WWII tank, though.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Good point, though it was originally designed as a bunker buster wasn’t it?

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Thats a lump Jakko, fancy pushing that!!

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
it was originally designed as a bunker buster wasn’t it?
Essentially, yes. My fictional backstory (as it is) here is kind of that that the Tortoise got re-purposed as a heavy-tank–killer, since in a 1950s war, there wouldn’t be a bunker line to fight through but there would be IS-3 tanks on the other side. The limited traverse of the main gun wouldn’t be much of a problem if it can stand off at a distance (like Conqueror was intended to do) while its thick armour would allow it to do so from a relatively exposed position. Or so you could rationalise a decision to keep it in service, anyway :smiling3:

it looks like a good start.
It really is closer to the start than the finish, though. I haven’t fitted any of the details other than on the machine-gun turret, for example.

Thats a lump Jakko, fancy pushing that!!
I suspect you’d need another one :smiling3: