Meng 1/35 Whippet

• Thread starter Deleted member 7181
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 7181

A link at the bottom of that page leads you to a model that's been painted in that scheme and it actually looks great with the colours muted a bit.

It also has some storage boxes on the rear that I've seen in a few videos. I might have a go at building some of those, in which case you may see me attempting to make rivets after all! What can possibly go wrong? :smiling5:

Reactions: JR

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
A link at the bottom of that page leads you to a model that's been painted in that scheme and it actually looks great with the colours muted a bit.
I forgot to mention that, I realised later. It seems the colours in the artwork are a bit more lurid than he used for his model.

It also has some storage boxes on the rear that I've seen in a few videos. I might have a go at building some of those, in which case you may see me attempting to make rivets after all! What can possibly go wrong? :smiling5:
Whippets often, but not always, had stowage boxes on the rear corners of the hull, but all museum vehicles I know of (both that I’ve seen in the flesh, anyway) lack them, and Meng seems to have based themselves on one of those instead of on photos of the real thing. The photo of the Whippet in German service I posted shows the frame of the box — it was made of angle iron with wooden sides and bottom, IIRC, so with a bit of damage only the frame would remain. These should be a good practice for scratchbuilding as it’s really just a rectangular box without a lid. I put some CG art of them in the Whippet PDF I referred to earlier, but I’m sure better drawings are available online :smiling3:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Andy
Missed the start of this - sorry. These WW1 tanks make great models and looks as if you have everything well in hand. Hope the track goes ok and I look forward to seeing whatever paint scheme you decide on. These tanks are great subjects for a good old muddy finish :smiling2:
Jim

D

Deleted member 7181

I haven't found any clear pictures or drawings yet Jakko, but can pretty much work out how they should look from what I have. Trouble with being from Yorkshire is that a Goole search for Whippet mostly brings up the four legged variety! :smiling5:

Cheers Jim, I pretty much knocked it together in two days so you haven't missed much so far.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Andy .
Sorry late again, b***er, all looking good, don't let" Rivet " talk you into anything complex like multi camo patterns. I've have it on good authority that his bed frame is fully riveted and the quilt is in a camo pattern .
You've done well in such a short time, those upper rollers look as they were fun....... Not .:smiling:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Sorry :cold-sweat::cold-sweat::cold-sweat::cold-sweat:, thought it was common knowledge after the court case !

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I haven't found any clear pictures or drawings yet Jakko, but can pretty much work out how they should look from what I have.
Steve’s photos above are a good place to begin. The dimensions are easy enough to work out because they nicely line up with parts of the hull and superstructure — the rear is even with the back end of the rear deck, for example, the height reaches to just below the line of rivets by the rail for the grousers on the right side of the superstructure, etc. The main thing to note is that the box on the right-hand side is rectangular with four walls, but that on the left has only three walls, the left one longer than the right so both fit against the superstructure.

D

Deleted member 7181

Many thanks for all the information guys, those pictures are great Steve. And cheers for the banter too!

And welcome aboard John, better late than never as they say :smiling3:

I stripped apart the supplied tow rope material and re-twisted it. It actually looks pretty good now so will stick with that. Looking at some of the extra gear and jerry cans they carried I've got a feeling this build might go on for longer than I expected. The wife is also pushing me to make a diorama :flushed: maybe this can be the subject.

• Wow
Reactions: JR
D

Deleted member 7181

Quick & dirty test to give me an idea of what issues I'll encounter. Sloping rear deck needs accounting for, as do the original rivets. Also needs something more in-scale for the angle iron as it looks a bit chunky in places (it's just 2mm strip that I had), but given a bit of time and thinning down the angle section I think it could look pretty decent.

Attachments

• n4ipf85.jpg
    n4ipf85.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 48
  • LLUq72w.jpg
    LLUq72w.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 47
  • XcIrVCY.jpg
    XcIrVCY.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 45
Last edited by a moderator:

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Andy .
Sorry late again, b***er, all looking good, don't let" Rivet " talk you into anything complex like multi camo patterns. I've have it on good authority that his bed frame is fully riveted and the quilt is in a camo pattern .
You've done well in such a short time, those upper rollers look as they were fun....... Not .:smiling:
Bet even the pillows are full of rivets....

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Quick & dirty test to give me an idea of what issues I'll encounter. Sloping rear deck needs accounting for, as do the original rivets. Also needs something more in-scale for the angle iron as it looks a bit chunky in places (it's just 2mm strip that I had), but given a bit of time and thinning down the angle section I think it could look pretty decent.

View attachment 352944

View attachment 352945

View attachment 352946
That looks ok Andy, once it is under a coat of paint who will know the difference.
Mike.

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Mike, will have another look at it this morning and see how I feel.