Metal detecting and magnet fishing

Niho

SMF Supporter
First Name
Nick
Blew some of my xmas bonus on a good s/h MD, Minelab Xterra 705, and a supermagnet with 500lb capability, joined local club, organised 'digs' most sundays if i can get there..... and its good fun
20211221_170815.jpg
20211204_130308.jpg
Finds, mostly junk, so its a 'green clean' job on the quiet lol
But i did do a ww2 Plane crash site,
20220416_092534.jpg
Live .50cal AP round and part of a fighterbomber stainless steel bombrack.......
Nick

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Good mate of mine took that up when he retired a few months ago. He’s found a few interesting coins, a WW1 medal, some blank 303 rounds, and a huge amount of scrap metal LOL…. in another month he thinks he’ll be able to build his own plough.

Niho

SMF Supporter
First Name
Nick
Good mate of mine took that up when he retired a few months ago. He’s found a few interesting coins, a WW1 medal, some blank 303 rounds, and a huge amount of scrap metal LOL…. in another month he thinks he’ll be able to build his own plough.
Magnet fishing, methinks im finding all the junk dumped or lost by local farms......

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Blew some of my xmas bonus on a good s/h MD, Minelab Xterra 705, and a supermagnet with 500lb capability, joined local club, organised 'digs' most sundays if i can get there..... and its good fun
View attachment 451100
View attachment 451101
View attachment 451102
Live .50cal AP round and part of a fighterbomber stainless steel bombrack.......
Nick
Hi Nick, I love the 50 cal. round......check the "headstamp" on the bottom of the cartridge case and let me know what it is....should be able to determine where and what year it was manufactured.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
O.K. Nick, what you have discovered is a Browning .50 calibre cartridge that was manufactured in the United States at the Milwaukee Ordnance Plant in Milwaukee, Wisconsin in 1942. That cartridge is rather a scarce item as my source material shows that this cartridge was only made there in 1942 and 43. Nice find!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Magnet fishing, methinks im finding all the junk dumped or lost by local farms......
Magnet fishing will only find you the ferrous stuff won’t it? Most of that will be dumped scrap metal. All the interesting stuff (silver coins, bronze items etc) is non ferrous so won’t get picked up by the magnet :disappointed2:

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan

Presuming you are in the UK? Maybe stating on public forums that you have a 'live' 0.50cal round in your house whilst living in the UK isn't such a good idea eh? Unless you have a firearms certificate and the right to have 0.50cal ammunition on the ticket?

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Some guy fished up a dozen morter round from a local pond. A secret stash of the resistance from WWII.
Army came and blew them up heard the bang from here.

Best bit is he did it twice. Lol.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Some guy fished up a dozen morter round from a local pond. A secret stash of the resistance from WWII.

You ought to hear the fireworks we set of on July 4th!!......No help from the Military required;)

Niho

SMF Supporter
First Name
Nick
O.K. Nick, what you have discovered is a Browning .50 calibre cartridge that was manufactured in the United States at the Milwaukee Ordnance Plant in Milwaukee, Wisconsin in 1942. That cartridge is rather a scarce item as my source material shows that this cartridge was only made there in 1942 and 43. Nice find!
Coolio, concurs with my research too
Okies, this came from a RAF Dakota crash, Jan 4th '45, Ford RNAS to Beauvais France, carrying 23 RAF/RNZAF + crew (all lost) personnel and equipment to re-equip Belgian fwd airfields after the 1st Jan bodenplatte raid, so 2nd TAC stuff, ammo etc, & the Type B-7 S/S bombrack is rated 100lb 1100lb, a 2nd TAC fighter bomber mount....
I've walked and scuffed surface here before now in 1998, found RAF Cutlery, a instrument bezel and duralinium with chromate green and olive drab either side... my MD found junk, barbed wire, nails, some melted aluminium blobs and a piece of blued stainless, exhaust? When i hit non ferrous, (S/S) bonus!!!, the .50 cal rd came on a reading mid way betix ferrous & non ferrous..... ...only 7" under surface......
Nock

Niho

SMF Supporter
First Name
Nick
You ought to hear the fireworks we set of on July 4th!!......No help from the Military required;)
Forgot this lol
20220416_213718.jpg

RAF/CmmnWlth 2nd TAC underwing bombrack so Tiffies, P51 Bs, some Spit IX sdns
okies the story
Nick
Magnet fishing will only find you the ferrous stuff won’t it? Most of that will be dumped scrap metal. All the interesting stuff (silver coins, bronze items etc) is non ferrous so won’t get picked up by the magnet :disappointed2:
Not totally comitted to 'fishing' yet, but imma noting ponds and rivers, i really need landower permission to dunk off the riverbanks, unless i find woodland or cover surrounding the waterway, & bridges over rivers, laws are different themselves, with paths, bridleways or byways, each have different regs, but bridges on A roads ok.....go figure,.....
Niho

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Well apart from getting an aqualung and going ditch diving it’s probably the only game in town for searching waterways…..so good luck :thumb2:

Niho

SMF Supporter
First Name
Nick
Well apart from getting an aqualung and going ditch diving it’s probably the only game in town for searching waterways…..so good luck :thumb2:
Got to have verbal or ertten permission on any land of landowner/s..... Crown Property, ie beaches ..... prom to the sea, etc No permission unless signage saying Private Beach (go low tide early a.m. or summer's eves @ lo tide)
My Minelab is waterproof up to control panel, which is rated watertight but I'm not gonna test it.

Niho

SMF Supporter
First Name
Nick
LMFAO....
Tim... jeez tripped a memory there, 1998.... Llanwrtyd Wells Wales ......Bog snorkelling .....yup i was a contender lol made the full 60mts in a mid table time, ingested some peaty slosh too...... fun daze...

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Oh yummy!........been a coin collector all my life and have always thot how much fun it would be prowling around with one of those modern minesweepers. I have read numerous articles about you guys in "Jolly Olde" turning up some pretty big Roman coin hoards etc. Too bad the Crown gets the bulk of your labors.:sad: Happy hunting!:thumb2:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Here you go, Looks like M ..... 42
View attachment 451138
By the way Nick, In further reviewing the first photo....it appears to have the black tip of an Armor Piercing round so it isn't explosive or incendiary.........safe to handle. I have a French 25 mm AA (live) round in my collection.....found it years ago in a Florida Pawn Shop........it's pretty much the focal point of the whole collection.....again, Nice Find:thumb2:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Forgot this lol
View attachment 451166

RAF/CmmnWlth 2nd TAC underwing bombrack so Tiffies, P51 Bs, some Spit IX sdns

okies the story
Nick

Not totally comitted to 'fishing' yet, but imma noting ponds and rivers, i really need landower permission to dunk off the riverbanks, unless i find woodland or cover surrounding the waterway, & bridges over rivers, laws are different themselves, with paths, bridleways or byways, each have different regs, but bridges on A roads ok.....go figure,.....
Niho

I don't want to be a killjoy, but how are you planning to get your magnet past the shopping trollies to the bottom of whatever waterway you want to search? :thinking::confused:

sootysue

Sooty sue
First Name
susan
View attachment 451100
View attachment 451101
View attachment 451102
Nick
Hi Nick. Blimey you have taken me back thinking of my younger days when I used to go metal detecting I didn't go on my own though . My first find was a, if I remember rightly was a silver queen Mary coin. I haven't done this in years.
Happy hunting in your hobby nick. In both hobbys you never know what you will find.
Sue